Alternatives to Push Pins

Category Tips
When you run out of push pins take a look around the house, for other things you can use. This is a page about alternatives to push pins.

Ladies, have you ever lost an earring rendering the other one useless? Try using your old earrings or mis-matched ones as thumb tacks on a bulletin board. Not only does it give a funky eclectic vibe but it also serves a purpose. :)

By abrupt_silence

This has to do with push pins, thumb tacks, children, and pets. Unfortunately children and pets don't understand the dangers of these items. Most everything a child or animal finds ends up in their mouths, many times with hazardous or deadly results.

An easy way to avoid this is to not allow them in your home! I have a medium size bulletin board on the wall. On it I have glued a bunch of wooden clothes pins. Whenever I need to post something on the bulletin board, I simply clip it there instead of using pins.

Now I never have to worry about a pin falling off and getting into my pets mouths. Or heaven forbid, into a child's mouth when my grandkids come to visit. This is such an easy and inexpensive preventative to a potentially deadly event. Recently on the news was a story of a baby who died from ingesting a push pin. Please, everyone, even if you don't use my suggestion, PLEASE come up with something so that you don't have to have these deadly items in your home!

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

A friend just recently attended her nephew's 15 month old son's funeral. The 15 month swallowed a push pin that was lodged in its throat, the baby died on the way to the hospital. Please be careful with those push pins. Even though they are sharp on one end, babies will still put them in their mouths.

By Momshummingbird from Lexington, NC

Run out of push pins? I always do. So I make use of all those little scatter pins they give away at conventions and the like for tacks in my bulletin board, etc. by taking the backs off.

Pretty and stray post earrings can be used as push pins on cork bulletin boards. So when you've lost the mate of a pair of post earrings, don't despair, use it on your cork board! Maybe you have special memories of some event you wore those earrings to. The moment doesn't have to be lost with the other earring, think of that special moment every time you look at your bulletin board or cork board!

By Terri H. from NV

Answers:

Use Extra Earrings as Push Pins

A picture would have been fun, but I like the idea! (08/03/2007)

By Kim Churchman

Use Extra Earrings as Push Pins

I have 3 granddaughters aged 10 thru 21, none of whom have any qualms about wearing unmatched earrings or a single. They also attach them to their charm bracelets, key chains, neck chains, etc. They have started trends in their schools from just this kind of outside-the-box thinking. So, I just pass 'em on and receive lots of thanks! The gold ones I just sell to jewelers who buy scrap gold. (08/04/2007)

By Sheila Hendricks

Use Extra Earrings as Push Pins

I use extra earrings on my shirts or jackets or dresses(like a pin) so kind of to "dress up" my clothing item (08/04/2007)

By suzanne

Organizing TipsJanuary 31, 2013
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf19505286.tip.html