Games to Play With Kids While Driving

contest winner icon

I used to save my change in the car in film containers, NOW I use other plastic containers (like from the gum you can get in the little plastic canisters). We had several games the kids enjoyed playing when they were younger and we were traveling. Most included winning money!

One we called "Family Trivia". I would take a coin out of the container, they never knew what it would be, a penny, maybe a quarter, then I would ask a question about some piece of family history. Examples: "Which of the kids ate a beetle when they were little?", "Which aunt has tattooed eyebrows?", and "What was Grandma's maiden name?". Some of the questions were about our immediate family, some about grandparents, etc. It was a fun way to pass on family history with the kids!

Another one we play is "Road Kill". And yes, it's as disgusting as it sounds! Again, we might play for all the change in the holder for this game. We would pick a distance, from point A to point B, and everyone would choose a number of how many dead critters they thought we would see between those points. Hey, I SAID it was disgusting, but it was a game that made the kids all laugh!

Yet another, "Guess within a quarter, how many dollars worth of gas we would put in the gas tank when stopping for gas." Whoever was within quarter, won a dollar!

And sometimes we would just have a guessing game as to how much change was in the coin container! If anyone was within a quarter, they won the entire amount! The kids LOVED that game!

I hope you enjoy some of our silly games!

Source: Bored kids and a mom who didn't want to hear "Are we there yet?" Smiles!

By Pam T from Storm Lake, IA

We always traveled a lot during the summer. My dad had his own truck transportation service and we traveled with him all over the US. One game we always played was out of state license plates it got kinda hard to remember exactly where we were all the time. and then there was the Alphabet game, You pick out the letters of the alphabet in order from Signs and such. The hard ones were always V, X and Z to find. It was pretty easy in the larger cities but got hard the farther away you got into the country. Then there was name the state capitol. It really seemed to help if we had been there. :)

I had a child late (at age 40) and when I would be out running around with him we played Spelling Railroad. The basic rule is the engine spells the first word. The next car has to spell a word that starts with the last letter of the engine word, and so on down the line. When you grow tired of it or you arrive at your destination, you just announce that the next word is the caboose. You can use general words or place names, any thing, just make your own rules.

I love your idea about family history! I am shocked at how many young people know nothing about their families. When I was helping my husband fill out passport paperwork there was information he didn't know and I was really surprised that he didn't have some of this basic information, like the years of his parent's birth. Great job!

Two kids playing a game on a road trip.
Road Trip Game Ideas
Parenting General Parenting Family TravelJuly 6, 2011
Driving on Snowy Roads, Cars driving on a snowy road.
Driving on Snowy Roads
Woman playing Wii
Saving Money on Wii Games
Homemade Educational Games
Homemade Educational Games for Toddlers
Keeping Kids Entertained on Road Trips, Photo of a child with earphones on in the back seat of a car.
Keeping Kids Entertained on Road Trips