Hurricane Preparation Tips

Preparing for hurricanes. The only good thing about hurricanes is that there is a warning and time to get prepared. I moved to RI in 1953. In '54 we were hit with Carol. My last hurricane (so far) was Bob in 1991. Here is how I prepare to evacuate. Pack as if you are going away camping for 3 days. Then add what you wouldn't want to lose if your house is gone when you come back (Mostly important , records.)

I have been in several hurricanes and power outages but have never lost water. Is that because you have a well that you need power for water? As I said I have never lost the water, that is,_city_ water. And having gas stove to cook on helped too. That never went off, like the electricity does. If you have an electric stove, a bbq grill (even a charcoal one) comes in handy. Pam (in RI)

I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and just went through Katrina. We not only didn't have electricity for 2 weeks, we also had zero water for almost a month ... and we're on regular city water. We also had no telephones at all, cell or otherwise for about 2 weeks before we got cell phones back. Land lines were down for 3 months. No internet for 3 months, no cable for 2 months. There were no stores open. No gas stations open. It was a very primitive life I'm telling you. We ran out of ice, water and food and there was no place to get any of the above. The 2nd week my husband and I finally left and drove to Florida to rent a room, shower and get some A/C, a meal and supplies. We had to wait in line for gas for 2 hours in Alabama to get there. We got a hamburger at Burger King when we got to Florida and it was so good I starting crying and couldn't stop! You don't realize how good you have it till you go through an experience like this I'm telling ya.

Tree Fallen on House After Hurricane
Preparing for a Hurricane
Home and Garden Emergency Hurricanes and TyphoonsMay 30, 2006
Travel Preparation Tips, How to Pack for Travel
Travel Preparation Tips
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
damaged house
Hurricane Damage Photos
A sign that says hurricane season.
Food Safety After a Hurricane
🎉
🎄