Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

What is the best way to remove a set in oil stain such as butter, cooking oil, etc. from clothing after it has been washed?

By Ann from Forest City, NC

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I removed mechanic grease off my sons blue jeans after he had been working on his car.I had run out of detergent and all I had handy was dish washing Cascade, the granules. I used 1/2 cup to lowest water level.started the machine for a few minutes so the granules would dissolve well. then let the jeans soak for about 45 min. Then started the washing cycle all the way thru. To my amazement the jeans came out sparkling clean. Not a spot of grease or oil on them.Try it. Mary-Hou.TX.

I use a bar of Fels Naptha soap in my laundry room. Whenever I find ANY stain, even after it's been washed and dried, I take the bar and wet it, then rub it into the stain (sometimes you have to wet it and rub a few times) I have not come across a stain yet that doesn't come out. I have gotten out blood, apple stains, cooking oil, tomato sauce, grass, car oil - it always came out, even the old stuff. One or two times I have had to do it again after washing, but it's so rare.

FYI - I have always found the soap in Ace Hardware (if you have one of those). I also make my own detergent with the very same soap.

I use Dawn (original) dish detergent. Just squirt it on the stain, rub it in, then rewash. If it don't come out the first time. I do it again and it will come out the next time.

If you use Dawn dish detergent to remove the oily stain, just be sure to not use the one with bleach. A friend of mine ruined her son's Docker pants this way.

Cheap shampoo (or some you bought and didn't like) will remove grease and other stains; if it cleans this stuff out of your hair, it will also remove things like oily stains and ring-around-the-collar. I keep a bottle in my laundry room cabinet .

Hope this helps.

Answer

How do I get grease out of clothing once it has already been washed?

Tracie from Los Angeles, CA

Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

I always use Dawn Dish soap straight onto the grease stain, rub it in really well then wash as usual. If there is a little grease still present after washing, just repeat with Dawn again. It never fails for me. (02/27/2008)

By Luvyabye

Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

I tried the Shout Stain "stick" with the little brush on the end. It did work on a couple of oil stains. (03/01/2008)

By Kelly

Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

I've had success with any dishwashing liquid I have on hand that cuts grease, Dawn, Ajax, etc.

Marilyn (03/02/2008)

By marivan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 8, 2010
Steam cleaning Upholstery
Removing Grease Stain on Upholstery
Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Making a Clothesline
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 12, 2016 at 10:28:31 AM on 10.0.2.210 in 709 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.