Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

What is the best way to remove a set in oil stain such as butter, cooking oil, etc. from clothing after it has been washed?

By Ann from Forest City, NC

By Kay [22]01/13/2010

If you use Dawn dish detergent to remove the oily stain, just be sure to not use the one with bleach. A friend of mine ruined her son's Docker pants this way.

Cheap shampoo (or some you bought and didn't like) will remove grease and other stains; if it cleans this stuff out of your hair, it will also remove things like oily stains and ring-around-the-collar. I keep a bottle in my laundry room cabinet .
Hope this helps.

By Mary [1]01/13/2010

I use Dawn (original) dish detergent. Just squirt it on the stain, rub it in, then rewash. If it don't come out the first time. I do it again and it will come out the next time.

By cowfd01/09/2010

I use a bar of Fels Naptha soap in my laundry room. Whenever I find ANY stain, even after it's been washed and dried, I take the bar and wet it, then rub it into the stain (sometimes you have to wet it and rub a few times) I have not come across a stain yet that doesn't come out. I have gotten out blood, apple stains, cooking oil, tomato sauce, grass, car oil - it always came out, even the old stuff. One or two times I have had to do it again after washing, but it's so rare.

FYI - I have always found the soap in Ace Hardware (if you have one of those). I also make my own detergent with the very same soap.

By Mary Ramirez [1]01/09/2010

I removed mechanic grease off my sons blue jeans after he had been working on his car.I had run out of detergent and all I had handy was dish washing Cascade, the granules. I used 1/2 cup to lowest water level.started the machine for a few minutes so the granules would dissolve well. then let the jeans soak for about 45 min. Then started the washing cycle all the way thru. To my amazement the jeans came out sparkling clean. Not a spot of grease or oil on them.Try it. Mary-Hou.TX.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

How do I get grease out of clothing once it has already been washed?

Tracie from Los Angeles, CA

RE: Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

I always use Dawn Dish soap straight onto the grease stain, rub it in really well then wash as usual. If there is a little grease still present after washing, just repeat with Dawn again. It never fails for me. (02/27/2008)

By Luvyabye

RE: Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

I tried the Shout Stain "stick" with the little brush on the end. It did work on a couple of oil stains. (03/01/2008)

By Kelly

RE: Removing Grease From Washed Clothes

I've had success with any dishwashing liquid I have on hand that cuts grease, Dawn, Ajax, etc.

Marilyn (03/02/2008)

By marivan