Vinegar Basting Sauce for Ham Balls or Ham Loaf

• 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. When ham loaf has baked 45 minutes, remove from the oven and drain off any fat. Pour basting sauce over loaf and return to 350 degree F oven for 15 more minutes, basting now and then with pan juices.

NOTE: My family likes the basting sauce poured on the meat in the beginning and baked for the entire hour of bake time. It thickens as as the sugar caramelizes, so be cautious to not let it burn toward the final 15 minutes.

Source: Cooking from Quilt Country Cookbook by Marsha Adams.

By Kathy from Western PA

I'll tell you how I do it.

Make the meat mixture into individual little loaves. I then make the same sauce, but add 1 tsp of dry mustard, pour over the loaves while they bake.

I usuall make a large meat mixture , form into the loaves, freeze, then wrap individual and and put in a large bag.. Just take out as many as are needed, for two or a dinner party.

Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SaucesOctober 23, 2008
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet