Keeping Mice Out of a Camper

Rodents are attracted to human living quarters even when they are mobile. This guide is about keeping mice out of a camper.

January 5, 2010 Flag

My 5th wheel camper has been at a camp ground since Aug. 2009. I have never had a problem with mice and have had my camper for 3 years 8 months. My husband came home Dec. 23rd and went back to the camper after New Years. He had food on the stove for dinner and found a mouse eating out of the pan.

The camper was left clean, no dishes or anything out of place. He noticed sunflower seeds in the stove top and the bed had droppings on it. Nobody had eaten in the bed. He does have a bag of sunflower seeds. My cable wire is running through my window and my cooking vent was left open for when you cook. I am very scared of mice. I was suppose to go there, but now I don't want to because I am afraid of mice.

How can they be in the camper now, when I have never had this happen before. My camper is parked against a hug tree and it leans over the whole top of my camper. I feel one of the things has to be how it got in. He placed a trap under the stove top and did kill one mouse, but I'm still not relieved that it is resolved.

By Kim from Sulphur, LA

Best Answer

Mice, rats and cat all hate peppermint. By putting peppermint oil on a cotton ball and then putting it in cabinets and/or any way you want to. The peppermint oil kept them out of my house (I live in the middle of a large field) when we were redoing our kitchen.

Best Answer

You have to change the dryer sheets every few weeks or they won't work. they seem to work good for me, except one year we got a weasel living in the camper. did some major damage.

Best Answer

I hate mice and have had problems with them in three of my campers. I fight them with a vengeance, but just to be clear, nothing makes the problem go away permanently. It is a constant battle. We store our camper under a shed near a wooded area. Not a smart choice, but it is our only option. That compounds the problem because there is a never ending supply of mice.

My new "used" fifth wheel had a serious infestation, so I began the process of ridding it of the heinous varmints. I started by cleaning out all the existing droppings and damage (wooden spoons chewed to shreds, etc.) so I can tell if I am making progress. Next I purchased 3 packages of Fresh Cab at my local farm and home store. Each package has 4 packets. I have read many blogs that say they work and many that say don't bother, but my infestation was so bad I was willing to try anything.

I scattered the packets under cabinets, in corners, by the front door that has a pretty big unsealed area at the bottom and under the bed.

I also sprayed Repels All heavily around anything that touched the ground on the outside of the camper. Repels All has a predator urine and smells pretty bad so using it inside is not possible.

Next, I also set traps baited simply with bread. I waited and checked. First day, nothing. Second day two trapped mice, next day nothing, Third day one mouse. Then for three days I have had no trapped mice. I check daily, clean any droppings I find and hope for the best.

We recently had torrential rains so I treated the outside heavily with Repels All again.

My next step will be to start trying to locate any holes where mice can enter. In addition to spray foam with pest repellent, I will also stuff each hole with steel wool. That has kept mice out of my house for 20 years. (I am keeping my fingers crossed that it continues.) I also used this method on an apartment we built in our horse barn-a haven for mice. I stuff steel wool around ever opening under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. I packed it under the baseboard molding and under the shower where it didn't fit snuggly to the floor. Mice can enter through an incredibly tiny opening. So far, not a mouse has gotten in. I strongly advocate steel wool.

I will report back on my success or failure.

We set an open box of mothballs in our pop-up camper before closing it for the winter - no problems and the "aroma" dissapates quickly when we air it out in the spring - actually, we return the box every time we close it up! No critters!

We have a travel trailer & under the camper are the water lines, etc. We use steel wool to fill the gaps. It not only keeps out mice but also insects... like spiders.

I'm not sure if this works, I'm trying it now. I have a motor home that had mice. i heard that the mice don't like irish spring soap. i cleaned all cabinets, any area with the poop, I cut the soap up and put it in all the cupboards, and cabinets. I will let you know if it works. Has anyone heard of this. I have a dog so I don't want to use poison.

We have had a tent trailer and Boler Irish spring soap works great

The only time we got mouse in our trailer was when they ate the irish spring soap that was missed.

I had Irish spring this past winter inside my camper. A mouse got in and actually are 3/4 of one bar. Couldn't believe it. So NO, it doesn't work

Just FYI I used irish spring soap last year in my camper because I heard that it repelled mice - never had more mice or more of a mess in my camper - I will not use irish spring soap in my camper again!

June 24, 2011 Flag

Field mice keep getting into our trailer/camper when not in use and making a terrible mess. Any suggestions of how I can get rid of them? Thank you!

By Amy from Millbury, MA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I guess everyone is fearful of something. Me,I'm petrified of mice and rats. Awhile back someone on here posted"use peppermint oil". Since putting peppermint oil on cotton balls in several locations I have had no more mice! I still leave a trap or two but nothing in over a year.

Best Answer

The only way we kept our camper on the farm free of mice was to park it near the bale house where our outdoor cats lived. I rely on cats to get rid of mice. Nothing else is as efficient.

Best Answer

I stuff mouse holes with dryer sheets, new or used and that has repelled mice in my shed for years. I have also stuffed dryer sheets around a too-large hole for indoor plumbing in my upstairs bath, no more mice!

Best Answer

Peppermint is supposed to work, I have always had good luck with the de-con pellet trays, and stuffing holes with steel wool, sos pads, or aluminum foil. Just know that those radar things you plug in don't work. I have actually seen a mouse sit right next to one of those and not move.

I heard the same. Peppermint. Can't hurt.

June 26, 2015 Flag

We have had 2 pop up campers in the past 3-4 years, both given to us by my brother-in-law. Every time we store them for the winter and open them up the next year they have been damaged by mice. Somehow they get underneath the camper, climb in and basically chew the canvas up and make holes in it. The bed cushions are fine. It's just the canvas that has holes in it. Is there something we can use when we store it for the winter to keep the mice out? Any suggestions would help.

Best Answer

I have always put dryer sheets around the inside of our camping trailer. In the cupboards and storage areas, everywhere. Mice seem to dislike dryer sheets. We have never had any signs of mice. A bonus is your camper smells good when you reopen it.

Best Answer

When we lived on a grain farm, and parked the camper far from the house, mice invaded it. We had at least a dozen outdoor cats, and when we parked the camper close to the house where the cats hung out, we never had any trouble with mice. The cats did their job. One thing NOT to use is moth balls. The smell will permeate the space, and is far worse than mouse damage.

January 5, 2010 Flag

We recently purchased a 30 foot camper and I found mouse droppings in the floor vents and cupboards. Everything is sealed up tight under the camper so mice shouldn't be able to get in anymore. I heard that certain dryer sheets help repel mice. Is that true? Does is have to be a certain brand (Downy or Bounce or generic store brand) or scent? Any info would be appreciated!

Janel

Answers:

Mice in a Camper

Peppermint oil (but not the kind used in candy) will send them on their way. It works! I've used it before with great success. You can buy the peppermint oil at a health food store. Put it on rags or cotton balls and then just place them where you want them. No harm to anyone and the mice don't like them. I hope this helps you. Good luck. (06/05/2007)

By Darlene

Mice in a Camper

I've never heard of dryer sheets doing the job. I would think the dryer sheets would help make them a nice soft nest, but I do not know, the smell might drive them away. I do know that peppermint essential oil will help repel them. Here is a paragraph I grabbed from another site:

Essential oils such as peppermint, mothballs, ammonia and onion have been known to drive mice away. Some people even say fox urine will send your mice packing, because the fox is a natural predator of mice. Peppermint oil sure sounds more pleasing to the other residents of the apartment; you!

Oh, also, ammonia will help with any other odors too. It attracts odors and cleans the air. But be very careful with ammonia, and empty any containers before moving the camper. As for the peppermint, I'd suggest putting a few drops on cotton balls and tossing them freely around the camper. They will smell wonderful for you and awful for the mice. (06/05/2007)

By trbrown22

Mice in a Camper

I read one time to try dryer sheets so I tried it. Well, the mice pooped all over it. Then I tried peppermint oil on cotton balls. It was too hard for the mice to poop on them, so they just pooped along side them. I have not found anything that works. Now we bought a strong spot light that we will take under the camper and look for any little hole that they get in through. I think it might be around the slide outs that they get in. We'll just keep trying to seal it up. (06/06/2007)

By Sandy

Mice in a Camper

Try putting peppermint essential oil on balls of cotton and place them where you see mouse droppings. It should repel them. (06/07/2007)

Mice in a Camper

I sprinkled baking soda in my daughter's closet when we were catching at least a mouse a day in there, almost 2 yrs ago, and haven't seen a mouse since. I do vacuum it up every few months and add new to keep it fresh. I am terrified of mice. Good luck. (06/07/2007)

By jmz2005

Mice in a Camper

I used Bounce dryer sheets all over in every corner (closet, fridge, bed, drawers, cupboards, etc.) of my camper last winter to spring. I never found any mouse droppings at all. (06/07/2007)

By Esther

Mice in a Camper

How about a cat? Lol. (06/15/2007)

By Cindy

Mice in a Camper

Another year in the battle with the mice. I believe they appreciate the bedding that dryer sheets provide. I spread a whole box of the smelly scented type and it didn't deter them at all. Pooped all over them. Last fall, we read about peppermint oil on cotton balls and tried them all over as well. Same effect, or should I say NO effect. It actually looks worse this year. I don't know what to try next but will probably go with the fox urine method. Something has to work! This is a pop-up camper and sealing the underside is just not feasible. (07/15/2007)

By Bill Goodman

Mice in a Camper

I put moth balls in plastic Tupperware with holes poked in the containers. I haven't had another mouse since. The Tupperware keeps the moth balls from rolling around. (08/08/2007)

By Steve

Mice in a Camper

Moth balls are the way to go. Put in a few balls in various spots and rest peacefully. First year with a trailer I used dryer sheets and they do not work. I have used moth balls for the past 7 and haven't seen a mouse since! (12/02/2007)

By Mike

Mice in a Camper

My friend and I are doing a science fair project for school on what repels mice. These suggestions will be very helpful for my research paper. Thank you all! (03/18/2008)

By Rachel

Mice in a Camper

I wonder if mice are like people in the sense that some like peppermint and/or dryer sheets and some don't. I'm going to try the peppermint oil, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the dryer sheets. By the way, I read if you put a dryer sheet half out your pocket it keeps mosquitoes away from your tender skin; I will try it this year camping. Bye y'all! (03/28/2008)

By Kellie

Mice in a Camper

The dryer sheets do not work. I tried it this past winter and they still get in. (04/20/2008)

By carolyn

Mice in a Camper

I've tried it all; dryer sheets, fox urine, moth balls, d-con, yes it's killing them, but they are dying in my camper and it's gross. A fellow camper just told me to put a bag of kitty litter down in a box and the mice smell that and think there is a cat. I haven't tried this one yet. Has anyone tried this, and does it work? (02/09/2009)

By pr

Mice in a Camper

I found what I think is the main access to my trailer for the mice. The general approach seems to be trying to keep them out of the cupboards, etc., but I think what I need to do is try and keep them out of the floor and walls and then living spaces won't be an issue.

Easier said than done? I am soon to find out. Under my shower is a big square hole which leads directly to the insulation between the floor and that stupid cloth under the trailer. There are holes in this cloth and I can see mouse poop in there as well as insulation that is probably being pulled out of the walls and other parts of the floor as this area seems very "full". I believe this is the nest.

I am going to spray foam under the shower and any other areas where I think the mice might be able to make a break for it, and then I am going to cut open the cloth and see what falls out. I'll keep you posted. Curious. Do most of the trailers having problems have this cloth underneath? My other trailer was a solid wood underside and I never had mice inside. (02/28/2009)

By stephen

Mice in a Camper

The fabric softener has to be Bounce or it does not work. (08/15/2009)

By dytchman24

Mice in a Camper

I've tried them all; peppermint oil, moth balls, steel wool sprayed with Lysol, and more. Nothing has really worked for the long haul.

Here's a tip: We camp 2-3 weekends a month through the summer. I hate unloading all the food each time to keep it away from the mice. I bought a food storage bag called a Grubpack. I bought it on-line. It's a bag made of flexible metal mesh. I store pancake mix, sugar, potatoes, raisins, crackers, and all my other non-canned dry foods in the Grubpack. Mice can't chew through it and the food stays safe. (11/02/2009)

By Jenni Winegar

It seems I have mice in the ceiling of our 5th wheel. I don't even know how they'd be getting up there or how I can put anything up there to run them out. I sure don't want to poison them and they die in there and cause a stink. I can't stand mice!!!!

Home and Garden Pest Control MiceMay 13, 2013
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Mouse in Kitchen
Keeping Mice out of Appliances
Camping With Travel Trailer
Traveling With a Camper or Trailer
A truck towing a vintage popup camper.
Repairing a Popup Camper
🎉
🎄