ThemesDecorating

Decorating with a Native American Theme

Category Themes

I would like some ideas for decorating with a native american theme. I am part Chippewa and I would like to express this part of my heritage. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Delinda from Washington state

Answers

I too am part Native American. I have decorated my livingroom in that theme as well. I painted my walls a "buckskin" color and my carpet is a neutral beige. I then purchased a relatively cheap area rug that has an Indian theme to it as well to lay over the carpet. My furniture has slip covers in khaki and then I added toss pillows of dark blue, maroon, green etc. I have collected art objects over the years that are Native American made and have some beautiful framed prints as well by talented artists. If you have ever attended a Pow Wow or have the chance to do so you can pick up prints from artists and frame them yourself. I also have a few select dolls and antique Indian jewelry that I have displayed in my living room. I get many compliments on my decor and it is not your "painted on velvet" type of mass produced look that some people use. Just pick a basic color scheme you want and then gradually add to it. HTH