Retirement Dinner for a Teacher

I am in charge of a small committee that is planning a retirement dinner for a fellow teacher. She is a classy dresser. She is always in high heels and wears beautiful scarves. We have a budget of about nothing! Any ideas?

Shannon from Miami, FL

Teachers tend to have received so many gifts over the years...but the ones they enjoy the most are the homemade ones. Maybe some former students and colleagues could make cards and write messages about things they remember about the retiring teacher. Personalized messages that tell how people's lives were affected by him/her mean the most! Another suggestion might be to take a picture of the school and/or teacher's classroom and frame it. If you don't have enough money for a frame, try making one out of popsicle sticks. As a teacher, I know from experience...cost isn't everything when receiving a gift from the school community. What's more important is knowing how you had an impact on people's lives.

Gag gifts site here -- most use common household items [bubble gum, paper clip, etc.] They have poems and stuff with many of them. this site is like others I have seen online, but was the one I found. you will probably be able to find more. Best Wishes...

http://granny2shoes.freeservers.com/03gaggifts.html

If you have access to card-making supplies, a NICE homemade card is pretty.

Why not invite all of the teachers, PTA, and students and their parents to a pot luck dinner in the school hall.

A pot luck dinner invitation could be sent out and divided into thirds, thus: Please bring a entree/starter.

Or, Please bring a main course, eg, scalloped potatoes, cold cuts, rice meal.

Or, Please bring a dessert, hot or cold of your choice

Send out one of each of these and you should end up will a very hearty and heartwarming occasion to celebrate this teacher.

I think you will be delighted with the results, just remember to have plenty of tea/coffe/juice on hand and somewhere to keep food hot or cold.

Perhaps some white linen handkerchiefs (however many the budget can afford) ....... & if you have someone who can crochet, then ask them ot crochet around the edges.

Wendy from Oz ...

Since she likes to wear scarves, why not buy an inexpensive, solid color one. Have all the students of her "Last Class" put their hand prints on it with paint OR depending on their age, write a note with a fabric pen.

Another idea would be to get a photo of her with her first class that she taught and one with her last. (Maybe from her husband or family?) You could frame these or make iron on transfers from them on the computer (easy) and iron them on a scarf or tote bag.

I am a retired teacher. I look back at my retirement dinner with fond memories. It was held at Red Lobster and everyone paid for their own dinner (except me) and those who I knew well and was close to attended. They took a collection and bought me a gold charm with the school initials on one side and the year on the other and had it put on a chain. It was a collection of my friends and it meant more to me than the county presentation with several hundred in attedance. I cherish the charm and it doesn't sit out and collect dust.

Pass out fabric squares for her colleagues and close friends to sign, then ask someone to make a signature quilt for her. Depending on the number and size of squares, they can either be put together with strips, or alternated with other squares of a colorful print.

Holidays and Parties Parties RetirementMay 8, 2006
A math teach writing on a chalk board.
Teacher Poems
Retirement Gift Ideas
Retirement Gift Ideas
apple keyshain
Making an Apple for the Teacher Keychain
Retirement Party Ideas
Retirement Party Ideas
🎄