QuiltingCrafts

What Can I Do With an Old Family Quilt?

What can I do with an old quilted bedspread that belonged to my deceased mother (she made it herself)? She had washed it so many times that the thread is bare on a lot of places. The colors don't fit my decor so framing pieces or making pillows is not an option. Just thinking about putting it in the trash brings tears to my eyes.

Along with that I have dollies, old pillow cases and other items I can't seem to part with. They are all taking up much needed space and most of the stuff doesn't have sentimental meaning to my children. My only living sibling is a brother and he doesn't want any of the things either. Any suggestions?

By Betty

Betty, your children might not have a sentimental attachment to these items, but you might have grandchildren or great grandchildren some day that would appreciate these family artifacts.

Do a google or bing search on "Heirloom Shadow Boxes" and you will get plenty of ideas for transforming these odds and ends into beautiful hanging artwork for future generations. Good luck!

When I was blessed with a worn old quilt, I made Christmas tree ornaments with them. I traced a basic shape ( pig, cow, etc.) and cut two of those. Stitched them together with wrong sides out, then turned them right side out. I sewed on button eyes and ribbon roses went around their necks. I gave one to each child. It has been more than 25 years, and I still see them hanging on their Christmas trees.

There are so many cool things you can do. One of the simplest is to cut them into shapes and sell them.

Right now, Easter Eggs are the seasonal thing. Think cookie cutter shapes like kittens, puppies, simple flowers, circles and diamonds and squares, etc.

If you can't find something to do with the doilies, donate them to the local thrift shops. They love them!

Good luck!

Do nothing now. Hang on to them a while longer. Sometimes as we grow older these things become meaningful and they may happen to your children or grandchildren. I wouldn't cut up the quilt or anything. I have a ragged old quilt that my great grandmother made. I have it in a cedar chest intact. No one could ever use it but the more sescendants we have the fewer heirlooms we have to leave them. Someone will cherish it and you for giving it to them.

Fold the quilt and put it in one of the pillowcases. Baste closed. Whenever you nap on the pillow, you will think of your mother. I have an afghan folded up in a pillowcase I do exactly that with!

Keep them if you can but, if not, why not take photographs and make them into a collage or put them in a small photo album.

I would take some of the doilies and cover the worn spots on the quilt, perhaps then it could be hung in your home. Also you could use the pillowcases and other linens to make like a duvet cover for the quilt perhaps one that would fit with your decor. Personally, I wouldn't care whether it fit or not, I'd show it. Who says you couldn't change the decor in one room to display the things you love!

I have seen Teddy bears made of patchwork quilts. But I agree, Just protect them for now and in a few more years maybe things will change. Some people don't grew to appreciate life's treasures until they are much older. GG VI

I inherited a few family quilts. Dating back to my great-great grandmother. I've used them for Christmas tree skirts, thus creating a old fashioned Christmas. I never plan on selling nor getting rid of them, as they are part of my family history. They also could be converted into room darkening curtains or a great blizzard kits for your car.