Making a Quilt With Neckties

Category Quilting
Making a necktie quilt is a great way to reuse old ties. Using neckties from someone special will make the quilt a cherished keepsake. This is a page about making a quilt with neckties.

How many neck ties do I need to make a twin size strip quilt?

Answers

It depends on the size quilt you want. Thrifty Fun has a section here www.thriftyfun.com/tf44825651.tip.html

A full-size quilt take around 99 ties to make the quilt. Jf you are making a throw quilt it takes around 60 ties to make the quilt.

It will depend on what you are doing. Like there are really nice patterns for starbursts or squares that use a mix of ties and fabric and there are fun patterns (crazy quilts) that use all ties.

The one that uses all ties would use many more ties than the first one.

Also it depends on if you are using wide ties or narrow or a mix. You would need fewer wide ties and more if they are all narrow.

Best to decide what pattern you want to follow first and if the pattern does not give you specific number of ties--measure the ties at the narrowest point and multiple out how wide and how long you want the quilt to be (counting at least 1/2 inch seam--ties often fray heavily and need bigger seams so you can zig zag the edges).

Post back with your finished product!! I love things made with old ties! So pretty and they can be so sentimental if the ties were from a loved one!

You need a great many. Be sure to buy every tie you find at yard sales and trift stores. My grandmother made those for years.

Only you can decide how many you need by using one side or splitting and using each side separately. Good luck to you.

I agree with Pghgirl that size of tie and pattern will make a difference in how many ties you will need.
I remember reading somewhere that it took 88 ties to make a king size but that could change drastically with the pattern used so I think it might be best to maybe look at patterns in a craft/fabric store as these should all have the number of ties needed for each pattern.
The library usually has several books on making quilts from neckties and if not you can check with the librarian and they will find a book for you.
These books and magazines usually have one or more free patterns that you can copy.
Patterns will also tell you about backing and filling materials.

There is a lot to know about when making one of these quilts so please read instructions on several sites before you begin your project as this is a lot of work to later find out something was not done in preparation and your quilt is ruined.
Be sure to check out about washing and ironing before beginning.

I have a couple of links to get you started but there are many more sites and all have good ideas.

www.instructables.com/.../

yesiquilt.wordpress.com/.../

crafty.house/.../

Here is a link showing so many patterns!

www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+necktie+quilts...

My boys now in their 30's went to catholic schools, 12 years each. They had a contest who could wear the ugliest tie, well I have all these ugly ties and would love to return them to them as a lap blanket or a quilt. I do not sew much, I have a machine, but I would be willing to try! Does anyone have a not too hard way of doing this?

Colleen

Answers

(Submitted via email)

Could some one send me easy directions on how to make a quilt out of men's old ties? I have started sewing ties together large end, then small end together, 4 ties apiece. It looks neat but I am afraid when i go to put all these 4 sections together it will lie curved instead of straight, I plan on sewing them all onto a full size sheet, but would like some suggestions before I go any farther thanks to anyone who can help. Colleen

Rather than sewing the ties to each other, try the following. Open each tie and remove any stiffening. Iron open, leaving side and point seams unironed. Sew one tie, face up to one of the finished short edges of a sheet the size u want(suggest twin for lap quilt, double for throw)Take a second tie, place it right side to the first tie and stitch the seam to the left edge of the first tie. Fold it down and press. Continue in this manner until sheet is covered or you run out of ties.

You could leave the points of each tie hanging over the long edges to make a prairie point type edging. Just sew across the line of points on each long edge close to the finished edge of the sheet to hold them in place. You could also try weaving the ties in a square (anchor all outside edges by stitching close to them and topstitching to a ready made fleece throw( I get mine for about 6.oo at my local Hart store)

Search for your question"how to make a quilt with mens ties"there's pictures & lot of info there,good luck.

Does anyone out there in crafty-quilty land know the directions to make a quilt out of old neckties? I had heard from someone long ago that there is a way without all the cutting, its a special way to fold it and make a cool design. Thanks for any info!

Jan from Buckeye, AZ

Answers:

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I am actually trying this right now as my second quilt. I am stitching them together in a circular pattern and then will put them on a flat sheet. If it ends up looking bad, I'll say that I shouldn't have tried this as my second quilt. But if it looks good, I'll have reason to brag. (I'm a guy, I like to brag). (10/16/2008)

By Steve

I have a large number of ties that belonged to my late husband. I would like to make a quilt with them but need some help and suggestions on how to get started.

Vicikie

Answers:

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I have made skirts from ties as well as scrap quilts. A circular mandala type or fan pattern on a plain ground would give max impact. To get the most coverage from the ties pick them apart and then interface them (ties are cut on the bias and interfacing will make them manageable). I like to leave the tips intact so you can tell the're ties. Keep it simple - make it up as you go along - and have fun.
(05/24/2005)

By amanda

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

Do you have enough ties to make a vest for yourself first? This would get you use to working with that type of fabric, before you venture into a quilt. As Lark has stated the bias fabric will need interfacing. I do believe you will enjoy your experience more if you get a wee bit of experience! You could embliseh a vest you already have by sewing the ties on the vest in a becoming pattern, that could be lots of fun, too. (05/24/2005)

By Clara Steendahl

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

An elderly lady friend taught me to STRIP QUILT. The strips are cut straight about (I'm guessing) 12" across and 3" down. She made beautiful throw pillows. After she sewed them together she embellished the strips with decorative braids, flat laces, and hand embroidered designs and edgings on some of the strips to fancy it up. Once this was done,turn the sewn together strips so that they are slanted and then cut the material to the size you want your pillow.This method can also be used for a quilt. It actually can be done pretty fast. She has quilts also that she'd made. One Christmas I made several pillows for gifts. I hope my instructions are pretty clear as it's been several years since I did this.Quilting is such a good pastime and if you have children or relatives of your husband they will appreciate the pillow for sentimental reasons. (05/24/2005)

By Sharon,Ky

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I saw somewhere on here recently to make ties into a purse as well. It was really cute. (05/25/2005)

By Donna

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I've heard you can make rugs out of ties, too. This would be great for gifts for your kids of Dad's ties. (05/25/2005)

By badwater

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I did a quilt years ago using ties. It was so easy! I used an embroidery sewing machine and used decorative stitches in bright colors to bring edges together. I butt the wide ends together to make a starburst (round) then quilted it onto a flat sheet. Then sewed the batting, matching flat sheet for backing, and applicated sheet together. Turned them right side out and sewed opening closed.SO EASY EVEN FOR A BEGINNER LIKE ME!

Another way is to alternate wide and thin ends, sew or embroider together the edges and cut into strips, and then sew intoblocks... looks great and so easy. They make great matching pillows to go with the quilt (can use up the ends from the starburst this way is well). (05/26/2005)

By mary p.

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I have seen them done as a large sunburst in the middle of the quilt and also in individual blocks in a fan shape. Just saw a tote bag made with ties and want to try one. Good luck! (06/02/2005)

By Kathy Wolfe

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I am in the process of making a quilt from using old ties, they are about 40 years old, I found a patern in a book called SUPER SIMPLE STRIPS by NANCY SMITH and LINDA MILLIGAN. I found this book at Jo-Anns. To me fabric is fabric, wherever it comes from its just a piece of fabric, so use your imagination and start cutting into the tie and start creating. You will be amazed at what you can come up with. (12/13/2005)

By sharilyn

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

There is a book called Daddy's Ties by Shirley Botsford with a good quilt pattern for using men's ties. (10/03/2006)

By Donna

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I am addicted to making tie quilts and tie off with yarn or floss to complete the "Tie" theme. I make 17" blocks with small print or solid fabric cut the ends of the tie at 16" and place three to a block of fabric then I strip between the blocks with 3" coordinate fabric. I make four rows of three across and poof you are done in no time. I have made totes out of ties as well that are fun too, like all the others say, have fun! (09/23/2007)

By Cat in AZ

Crafts QuiltingDecember 15, 2011
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-13 10:53:08 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️