Crafts Using Neckties

Neckties are a popular, colorful crafting supply. They can be used in making new clothing, quilts, purses, and other projects. Use the ones you have around the house that are no longer fashionable or check out the thrift store for a new supply. This is a guide about crafts using neckties.

This is a guide about making a neck tie Christmas wreath. Looking for a unique Christmas wreath making idea. What about one made from neck ties? Repurposing men's neck ties is a fun crafting experience. This is a guide about making a neck tie Christmas wreath.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

An old men's tie and a few other supplies are all you need to make this cute treat filled snake for Valentine's Day. This is a guide about making a Valentine goody snake.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a men's silk tie rose pin. Using a tie in your choice of color, you can make this lovely pin for your lapel or purse.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Teri Clark0 found this helpful

If you have an adult male in your home, you are bound to have a huge array of ties. And if it is anything like at my house, I'll bet that many of those ties go unworn year after year! Don't let those old ties go to waste - instead, create a quick, easy, and adorable snake for your child's stuffed animal collection!

Materials:

Tools:

Instructions:

The body of the snake is first:

1. Unbend the wire coat hanger so that you have a long, relatively straight piece of wire. You may need to clip off the hooked end of the coat hanger if you can't get it undone.
  2. Lay the tie on a table, face down. You will see that the tie is hollow. Start pushing fiberfill into the hollow of the tie starting at the wide end.
  3. As you get more fiberfill into the tie, you will need to push it down to the other end using the straightened out coat hanger. Be sure to fill the entire tie with fiberfill.
  4. Once the entire tie is filled, thread the coat hanger into the tie. This will allow your snake to be twisted and posed.
  5. Now it is time to create the head and the tail:

6. The wide end of the tie has a lining. Pull the lining away from the tie and stuff this area with fiberfill.
  7. Using your needle and thread, sew the lining edges together so that no fiberfill can leak out.
  8. Repeat STEPS 5 and 6 on the small end of the tie to create a tail.
  9. Using the hot glue gun, glue on two googlie eyes.
  10. Cut your pipe cleaner in half. You will only need one of the halves.
  11. Bend the pipe cleaner half in the middle.
  12. Using the hot glue gun, glue the pipe cleaner on the point of the head to create a tongue.
  13. Once the hot glue is dry, you can coil your snake! My daughter coils hers around her bedpost and it is a great conversation starter when she has friends sleep over!

Additional Ideas: Add dried beans to the tail instead of fiberfill to create a "rattle" snake!

© 2005 ThriftyFun

This is a guide about making a quilt with neckties. Making a necktie quilt is a great way to reuse old ties. Using neckties from someone special will make the quilt a cherished keepsake.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Want to keep up with trends, but don't have the bucks to spare? Here's a real hot fashion trend that you can spend no money on! Grab one of your husband's ties or one of your own and use it in place of a belt. Thread it through the belt loops and tie it in a Windsor knot (or any you prefer) to the left or right side. You are now officially in trend. And it didn't cost you a penny!

By Suzanne S.

This is a guide about making a pillow casing using neckties. Neckties are easily available in either secondhand stores or in your own closet. This can be a great way to reuse sentimental garments as a beautiful keepsake.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking for a pattern to use my Dad's ties. If any one can help please let me know.

Lee from Paragould, Ar

Answers

http://www.goya  arch&gAppid=

Put the following in your google:

things to make with neckties

You will get listings for pillows, quilts, a halter top, schoolbag, tree skirt, purse, etc....

By Pat (Guest Post)

I took my father-in-law,s ties{He has passed away} and made them into a wall hanging. I cut two inch squares from different ties. Then I cut two inch squares from a soft cloud printed fabric. Then I ironed them in the pattern of his name on a graft fabric you can buy for "wartercolor quilting. {They will explain this to you at a quilt supply store} I then filled in the blank squares with the cloud fabric. After the ironing was done I turned the fabric over and made seams horizontally then vertically. They may have to explain this at the store. The hanging looks like a quilt. My mother-in-law has received many compliments on it.

There is a book out called (I think) "Daddy's Ties" and has various patterns for making things with neckties. I owned this book at one time and really thought I'd make some things with my husband's old ties and ones I'd purchased at garage sales but I never got around to it. I sold the book on ebay. It had patterns for a tree skirt, stockings and other neat things as I recall. You could probably find it at amazon.com

By Cathy S. (Guest Post)

I had a friend who made a lovely skirt with neckties once. She measured the length of her skirt from the bottom ( wider ed) of the ties and cut the tops ( small ends ) off. Then sewed them all together somehow and put a zipper in and a lining. If you are handy you could probably figure it out. The end result was gorgeous!! I think you could even make a matching patchwork vest out of the scraps, including the labels.

By Ruth (Guest Post)

You could weave them together, like we did with paper in grade school, and then make a pillow or chair cushion.

my mother-in-law used ties and made quilts from them. she would also make them into blankets and furniture throws bycutting them and sewing together and taking a sheet for the backing. She would wash them before she did any of this to see how they would hold up since some of the material should be dry cleaned - however there was never any puckering when washed after that good luck on any project you create from ties

I used my Dad's ties to make him a crazy quilted waistcoat. Just cut up the ties and crazy quilt them into fabric large enough to cut out the waistcoat pattern. Here is a photo of my Dad at my daughter's wedding. He passed away 4 months after the wedding.

By (Guest Post)

go to crafster.org

I like the idea of "WEAVING" them back & forth, then sewing the sides (to hold then in place) then using them to make or cover a throw pillow... What a wonderful conversation piece for your bed or living room! ... I bet you could also make woven ties into square chair pads or even sew a table runner from ties that are sewn horizontally & every other one changes direction. GOSH! .. I never thought of using ties to decorate with before, but the idea sure is growing on me! ... You know, come to think of it, I wonder if you could put a spring-rod across a doorway (in a teenager's room) & hang ties from it to make a room divider, like we did with beaded curtains! This would work well especially in an older boy's room where beads might be considered to "girly"...

By suzi_homemaker01 (Guest Post)

I saw a chair once, like a ladder back chair with the seat part weaved out of neck ties. All of the chairs in this coffee house were different, so it fit in very well.

Martha Stewart had a special on using silk ties to dye eggs for Easter. The larger end of the tie can be used to make a holder for your cell phone, even to wear around your neck fashionably.

A family member recently died and left quite a few men's neckties behind. We are looking for a craft or something that can be made from them for his four children. (Please don't suggest the necktie skirts, that idea didn't fly). Maybe something like a picture frame, wreath, or something to hang. Any ideas? This would be for an adult male and 3 older teen girls.

By mom-from-missouri from Plattsburg, MO

I have a collection of old ties and would like new ideas for using them in sewing or quilting projects.

By Kathy E.

Answers

I have seen a tie quilt, in which the ties were sewn in alternating directions, skinny end butted next to the wide end. Then this was placed over the batting, then the backing, and quilted together by quilting between every 3rd tie. I also think it would make a great ladies vest, unstructured, without buttons, and loose. If you don't have a pattern, you can pin the ties over a completed vest to get a general pattern, and sew together. If you were able to sew them with a hidden stitch, it might not even require a backing.
Best of luck to you, sounds like whatever you make will be beautiful!

I was wondering if you wash the men's ties before cutting and sewing them together? If so, do you use hot or cool water and do you put them in the dryer? What other process would you go through before cutting them into strips or what ever design you choose?

By Carol F. from Mesa, AZ

When I visited Texas last year I saw a antique chair and the seat had been redone by weaving vintage men's neckties for the seat. I would love the have the directions for doing this. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this craft information.

Answers

Anonymous

Good idea, Betty! Here is a website for a Necktie Chair seat that shows you how:
http://www.diyn  _2269615,00.html
Please let me know if the link doesn't work for you. I wish you great success!
Maryanne

http://romantichomesmagazine.co.nr

By suzi homemaker (Guest Post)

This is probably just conicidence, but I live in Copperas Cove, Texas and we have a little coffee shop in town and they have a chair with the seat weaved in neckties!! They have mismatched chairs and tables, and large grapevine hanging from the ceiling. It's a really cute place!

That is so so cute....can't wait to try !

What can I make or do with lots of men's ties that I have?

By GL Langston

Any ideas on how to make a name badge holder from a man's necktie?

By Carol O.

I recently saw at a craft fair flowers (maybe roses) made using neckties. It looked like it had been folded and wrapped around itself several times, and the two pointed ends stuck out to the side. Anyone have any advice how to make this?

By Christine from Busan, SK

Answers

I googled craft of making flowers from men's ties, and found several sites. There is a good video at www.metcalf.com/make_a_flower_from_a_tie_or_ribbon_its_easy/

Check out the book "My Daddy's ties" it has great creative craft ideas...

I saw a Xmas tree skirt made from silk ties on Facebook. It was posted by Paula Dean. I sure would like to find a pattern for it.

By Irene

Answers

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I found this.
http://www.thri  6914151.tip.html

http://www.goog  CwAAAKoEBU_Qhp3c

I found this by putting in neck tie tree skirt. Good luck!!

How do I make a necktie picture frame?

Can somebody tell me how to make the ruffled tie scarves using 2-3 ties each?

Did you remove the lining? And how long is the tie in the front, from the outer metal ring?

By Joann from Minoa, NY

I am looking for ideas with using neckties. Making angels, etc.

By PHYLLIS LUNDGREN from Canyon Lake, TX

Answers:

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

A friend of mine uses them to make throw pillow tops. She weaves them together then sews them down to a fabric block back. She used the smallest part of the tie, but it seems to me that if they were all of a size you could use the wide end, and instead of weaving, just do blocks. (07/23/2009)

By dede smith

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

Just last year someone here at Thrifty Fun shared how she made a door wreath along with a photo, but I can't locate it now :-( It was cool! Oh I just found it, here it is: Tie Door Wreath

Here's the only other 'how to' I could find for a tie wreath when Googling, but it doesn't show pictures:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5130165_make-necktie-wreath.html

And here are some other archived TF craft uses for ties different from the ones listed at the bottom of the page you're now viewing: Crafts Using Neck Ties

(07/24/2009)

By Ann

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

I make handbags and tote bags, there are great instructions here: craftbits.com.

I also use them for belts, headbands, curtain tiebacks, and leash covers (stitch some that are fairly even in width end to end and side by side forming a long tube, then stitch a small Velcro tab at each end. Slip the leash through the tube and fasten the Velcro to prevent the cover from slipping and voila, a fancy leash for the cost of a thrift store tie). Really ugly ones just get tied into knots for dog and cat toys. (07/24/2009)

By Patricia Nicholas

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

I was doing our local quilt shop hop yesterday and saw a quilt made with ties in the middle of the quilt blocks. It was very unique. They use the big part of the tie and did an overcast stitch so you could see the stitching. I thought it looked pretty neat! (07/25/2009)

By wendy

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

You can also make a necktie skirt. There are several free patterns online for both adult and child skirts.

(07/25/2009)

By J

I am looking for uses for men's ties.

By janet from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Wow! I was about to post this neat craft I found before I saw your question. (I was searching for a craft question about Valentine's boxes that I saw a few days ago). Anyway, here's a really pretty bag you can make, called a Neck Tie School Bag (it looks like a clutch purse) at Craftbits.com (I'm a member there, and it's great! There is a growing supply of crafts there!)

craftbits.com

God bless you and Happy Valentine's Day! (02/08/2010)

By Erin813

RE: Crafts Using Neck Ties

Crafts Using Neck Ties

I've done dyeing the Easter eggs using silk ties. Wrap the egg(s) in silk tie using rubber bands. Boil eggs for hard boiled eggs. The pattern on the tie will be on the egg. And I found that each tie will make 10 eggs. Also, you could make a skirt or a quilt out of ties. (02/14/2010)

By carolcoen

Crafts Using Neck Ties

I used to have a book called Daddy's Ties that had a ton of ideas and instructions. Hope you can still find it!
(02/15/2010)

By elle

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Here's a cute heart pin made from neckties. I would wear it all year long, not just for Valentine's Day. Good luck!

craftstylish.com (02/15/2010)

By Rachel's Mom

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Here is a neck tie wreath that was posted a couple of years ago and I absolutely love the idea! thriftyfun.com (02/15/2010)

By Ann

Does anyone have any craft ideas and instructions for reusing or recycling silk ties?

By sumarks from Minneapolis, MN

Answers:

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Make skirts with them. (12/24/2009)

By kathleen williams

Use Necktie on a Scarecrow.
Use Necktie on a Scarecrow.

Craft tips using old neck ties from the ThriftyFun community.

Watch Washing Instructions And Other Tips

Just a caution for all those gorgeous and lovely ties, be sure whatever you make uses ties with the same washing instructions. It is disastrous to combine washable and non-washable ties in one craft, I learned to my sorrow. Be sure and let any recipients know if the ties CANNOT be washed.

You can make a great windsock with old ties and a tall plastic container. Cut out the bottom, punch holes in the narrowest opening, add the 4 strings (kite string works best) and knot together, add a swivel hook (fishermen know what that is). Fold under the narrow end of each tie and staple. Then using an exterior glue, glue the ties close together around the plastic container, leaving the wide point of each one hanging down for the streamers. Pick matching or coordinating, or go tropical for summer.

By Mary Lou

Chair Back

At a coffee shop once, they had a ladder-back chair seat made of ties. It looked really cool!

By suzi homemaker

Curtains

You could use them as funky tiebacks for curtains, I saw that once on a decorating show and it looked really neat!

By Rebekah

Angel and a Snake

You don't have to be too crafty for this angel:

Tie Angel

And this one came from this website:

Sneaky Snake (Made With Men's Ties)

By Nancy H

Ties Skirt

Many years ago a friend made a skirt of old ties. Surely someone out there has a pattern for it. The wide pointy end was at the bottom of the shirt. Seems like it was about mid-calf length. And very colorful.I think the waistband was about 2 inches wide with a side zipper. And a tie added for a sash. I still have two of my fathers ties. He has been gone for 23 years. I use them to display his tie tacks. Most of which he made.

By Vi Johnson

Christmas Tree Skirt

I saw a Christmas Tree skirt one time. The ties were just tacked together around the base of the tree except for two ties that when they met had hooks on one side and eyes on the other. That way you can undo it later and put it away for next Christmas.

By Susan

Purses And Clothes

I make purses from old neck ties, I have also sewn them on skirts and jeans they are really fun applique on they are on the bias so you can go anywhere. Also cut out the interfacing and press and cut bias strips to bind jacket labels, hems hats etc. (12/01/2006)

By Jackie

Make A Vest

They make beautiful vests, I have seen these on a sewing website several years ago.

By Betty

Necklace

I have seen necklaces made with a tie. You load the tie with a bead then put on a bead that you can see then again put a bead inside of the tie and so on. I have seen these and they very pretty. I don't have the full instructions though.

By sandy

Use As A Belt

I saw a cute idea in the Family Fun magazine. You make belts with them. It sounds weird, but they are actually really stylish right now. Just look on their website under neck tie belts, and you should be able to find them. Looks really easy too! Good luck!

By Mandy

Use In A Shadowbox Frame

You could take a shadow box frame and use the ties as a border to "frame" pictures of your father with the children. With a shadow box frame, you just use pins, so the ties won't be damaged. You can personalize them by putting in pictures of the kids with their grandpa an make a gift for each of your children. I have to say one of my most beloved and treasured family pictures is my grandparent's engagement picture.

By Carrie B. Hoffma

Snake Door Draft Catcher

Once you make all those wonderful suggestions above, give the cast offs to teachers to make Door Draft Catchers. It's this fast and easy kind of craft that teachers love! My Sunday School class did these for Father's Day. Unstitch the narrow end of the tie and stuff the center with batting or other filler. (Most ties will require reinforcing of the opposite pointed wide.) Stitch it closed! Then take the wide pointed end of the tie and glue on eyes and a felt tongue. Voila`! Instant Snake Door Draft Catcher.

By galoosh

Pillow

Cut about 18 inches from the narrow end of the ties and then use these pieces and weave them in to a square. Cut a square from a piece of material and sew this onto the outer edge of the ties. Fill the inside with stuffing and you have a pillow.

By Selma

Necktie Pillow By Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart featured a decorative pillow using old neckties which looked great. If you're interested, check out her website at http://www.marthastewart.com and search on necktie pillow.

By Claudia

Dad's Ties In A Skirt Or As A Memory Quilt

My dad just passed away and he too had a collection of ties. One of the ideas that I had was to make a skirt from the ties. With the rest that we have, we're going to have small quilts made from them that us kids can pass onto our kids.

By Mara

Neck Tie Quilt

My aunt made a fabulous quilt using old ties. She made a "star" pattern in the middle laying the ties in a circle and stitching them together. Then filled in the rest with other ties. She may have cut the ties in half - I can't remember. Good luck - this could be a fun project.

By Pam Stivers

Quilt With Matching Pillow

My sister made a beautiful quilt from her hubby's ties. A quilted throw pillow cover would be nice too. I'd just sew them together on the sewing machine. They don't have to actually be quilted. Rip the seams. Lay them end to end. Sew on the machine. It will be like a "crazy" quilt pattern, I think. I'm not a quilter or crafter, but I think it would work.

Warm regards!

By Carol in PA

Quilting Patterns For Neckties

There is a quilt pattern called Dresden Plate which you can use to cut and join your ties. Another pattern you might consider is Grandmothers Fan. You don't have to make a quilt, of course, but it's nice to have the patterns for the ideas. There is also a book about making quilts and things from neckties. I think the title is something about "Your father's neckties." I wish I could remember the correct title for you.

By marilyn lott

If you have an idea to share, post it below.

Answers:

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Hi. I am collecting ties to make a quilt. My grandmother made quilts out of ties and they were beautiful. She would open up the ties and put them on a sheet and then the batting and back piece. I am 60 and have had one quilt for many years. My grandmother died when I was 10 so have had it for many years. My husband loves it on the bed because it is so warm and heavy. Barb from Rothbury, Mi (10/03/2007)

By Barbara

Crafts Using Neck Ties

I make chair covers by weaving neck ties. I also make neck tie pins. They are beautiful. (08/05/2008)

By Beverly Nutter

Crafts Using Neck Ties

I make Christmas wreaths out of old neck ties. I make them for the Christmas fair in the 'special needs' center where I work and they sell extremely well. Three ties are platted together then formed into a double ring and stitched by hand. Small ornaments or pine cones and berries can be added at this stage. Try it, it's a great way to use old ties.
(11/09/2008)

By Irene H-B

I need patterns to reuse or re-purpose neckties. Thanks.

I am trying to find photos of a rug or quilt made from men's old ties. Will someone mail me a photo and an instruction book? I'm 77 and need a post retirement project.