Crafts Using Neckties

Neckties are a popular, colorful crafting supply. They can be used in making new clothing, quilts, purses, and other projects. Use the ones you have around the house that are no longer fashionable or check out the thrift store for a new supply. This is a guide about crafts using neckties.

This is a guide about making a men's silk tie rose pin. Using a tie in your choice of color, you can make this lovely pin for your lapel or purse.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making a neck tie Christmas wreath. Looking for a unique Christmas wreath making idea. What about one made from neck ties? Repurposing men's neck ties is a fun crafting experience. This is a guide about making a neck tie Christmas wreath.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

An old men's tie and a few other supplies are all you need to make this cute treat filled snake for Valentine's Day. This is a guide about making a Valentine goody snake.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Teri Clark0 found this helpful

If you have an adult male in your home, you are bound to have a huge array of ties. And if it is anything like at my house, I'll bet that many of those ties go unworn year after year!

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a quilt with neckties. Making a necktie quilt is a great way to reuse old ties. Using neckties from someone special will make the quilt a cherished keepsake.

Want to keep up with trends, but don't have the bucks to spare? Here's a real hot fashion trend that you can spend no money on!

Grab one of your husband's ties or one of your own and use it in place of a belt.

This is a guide about making a pillowcase using neckties. Neckties are easily available in either secondhand stores or in your own closet. This can be a great way to reuse sentimental garments as a beautiful keepsake.

I am looking for a pattern to use my Dad's ties. If any one can help please let me know.

Lee from Paragould, Ar

Answers

http://www.goya  arch&gAppid=

Put the following in your google:

things to make with neckties

You will get listings for pillows, quilts, a halter top, schoolbag, tree skirt, purse, etc....

By Pat (Guest Post)

I took my father-in-law,s ties{He has passed away} and made them into a wall hanging. I cut two inch squares from different ties. Then I cut two inch squares from a soft cloud printed fabric. Then I ironed them in the pattern of his name on a graft fabric you can buy for "wartercolor quilting.

{They will explain this to you at a quilt supply store} I then filled in the blank squares with the cloud fabric. After the ironing was done I turned the fabric over and made seams horizontally then vertically. They may have to explain this at the store. The hanging looks like a quilt. My mother-in-law has received many compliments on it.

There is a book out called (I think) "Daddy's Ties" and has various patterns for making things with neckties. I owned this book at one time and really thought I'd make some things with my husband's old ties and ones I'd purchased at garage sales but I never got around to it. I sold the book on ebay. It had patterns for a tree skirt, stockings and other neat things as I recall. You could probably find it at amazon.com

By Cathy S. (Guest Post)

I had a friend who made a lovely skirt with neckties once. She measured the length of her skirt from the bottom ( wider ed) of the ties and cut the tops ( small ends ) off. Then sewed them all together somehow and put a zipper in and a lining.

If you are handy you could probably figure it out. The end result was gorgeous!! I think you could even make a matching patchwork vest out of the scraps, including the labels.

By Ruth (Guest Post)

You could weave them together, like we did with paper in grade school, and then make a pillow or chair cushion.

my mother-in-law used ties and made quilts from them. she would also make them into blankets and furniture throws bycutting them and sewing together and taking a sheet for the backing. She would wash them before she did any of this to see how they would hold up since some of the material should be dry cleaned - however there was never any puckering when washed after that good luck on any project you create from ties

I used my Dad's ties to make him a crazy quilted waistcoat. Just cut up the ties and crazy quilt them into fabric large enough to cut out the waistcoat pattern.

Here is a photo of my Dad at my daughter's wedding. He passed away 4 months after the wedding.

By (Guest Post)

go to crafster.org

I like the idea of "WEAVING" them back & forth, then sewing the sides (to hold then in place) then using them to make or cover a throw pillow... What a wonderful conversation piece for your bed or living room! ... I bet you could also make woven ties into square chair pads or even sew a table runner from ties that are sewn horizontally & every other one changes direction.

GOSH! .. I never thought of using ties to decorate with before, but the idea sure is growing on me! ... You know, come to think of it, I wonder if you could put a spring-rod across a doorway (in a teenager's room) & hang ties from it to make a room divider, like we did with beaded curtains! This would work well especially in an older boy's room where beads might be considered to "girly"...

By suzi_homemaker01 (Guest Post)

I saw a chair once, like a ladder back chair with the seat part weaved out of neck ties. All of the chairs in this coffee house were different, so it fit in very well.

Martha Stewart had a special on using silk ties to dye eggs for Easter. The larger end of the tie can be used to make a holder for your cell phone, even to wear around your neck fashionably.

I have a collection of old ties and would like new ideas for using them in sewing or quilting projects.

By Kathy E.

A family member recently died and left quite a few men's neckties behind. We are looking for a craft or something that can be made from them for his four children. (Please don't suggest the necktie skirts, that idea didn't fly). Maybe something like a picture frame, wreath, or something to hang. Any ideas? This would be for an adult male and 3 older teen girls.

By mom-from-missouri from Plattsburg, MO

I was wondering if you wash the men's ties before cutting and sewing them together? If so, do you use hot or cool water and do you put them in the dryer? What other process would you go through before cutting them into strips or what ever design you choose?

By Carol F. from Mesa, AZ

When I visited Texas last year I saw a antique chair and the seat had been redone by weaving vintage men's neckties for the seat. I would love the have the directions for doing this. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this craft information.

Answers

By suzi homemaker (Guest Post)

This is probably just conicidence, but I live in Copperas Cove, Texas and we have a little coffee shop in town and they have a chair with the seat weaved in neckties!! They have mismatched chairs and tables, and large grapevine hanging from the ceiling. It's a really cute place!

That is so so cute....can't wait to try !

What can I make or do with lots of men's ties that I have?

By GL Langston

Any ideas on how to make a name badge holder from a man's necktie?

By Carol O.

I recently saw at a craft fair flowers (maybe roses) made using neckties. It looked like it had been folded and wrapped around itself several times, and the two pointed ends stuck out to the side. Anyone have any advice how to make this?

By Christine from Busan, SK

I saw a Xmas tree skirt made from silk ties on Facebook. It was posted by Paula Dean. I sure would like to find a pattern for it.

By Irene

Answers

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I found this.
http://www.thri  6914151.tip.html

http://www.goog  CwAAAKoEBU_Qhp3c

I found this by putting in neck tie tree skirt. Good luck!!

How do I make a necktie picture frame?

Can somebody tell me how to make the ruffled tie scarves using 2-3 ties each?

Did you remove the lining? And how long is the tie in the front, from the outer metal ring?

By Joann from Minoa, NY

I am looking for ideas with using neckties. Making angels, etc.

By PHYLLIS LUNDGREN from Canyon Lake, TX

Answers:

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

A friend of mine uses them to make throw pillow tops. She weaves them together then sews them down to a fabric block back. She used the smallest part of the tie, but it seems to me that if they were all of a size you could use the wide end, and instead of weaving, just do blocks. (07/23/2009)

By dede smith

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

Just last year someone here at Thrifty Fun shared how she made a door wreath along with a photo, but I can't locate it now :-( It was cool! Oh I just found it, here it is: Tie Door Wreath

Here's the only other 'how to' I could find for a tie wreath when Googling, but it doesn't show pictures:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5130165_make-necktie-wreath.html

And here are some other archived TF craft uses for ties different from the ones listed at the bottom of the page you're now viewing: Crafts Using Neck Ties

(07/24/2009)

By Ann

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

I make handbags and tote bags, there are great instructions here: craftbits.com.

I also use them for belts, headbands, curtain tiebacks, and leash covers (stitch some that are fairly even in width end to end and side by side forming a long tube, then stitch a small Velcro tab at each end. Slip the leash through the tube and fasten the Velcro to prevent the cover from slipping and voila, a fancy leash for the cost of a thrift store tie). Really ugly ones just get tied into knots for dog and cat toys. (07/24/2009)

By Patricia Nicholas

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

I was doing our local quilt shop hop yesterday and saw a quilt made with ties in the middle of the quilt blocks. It was very unique. They use the big part of the tie and did an overcast stitch so you could see the stitching. I thought it looked pretty neat! (07/25/2009)

By wendy

Crafts Using Men's Neckties

You can also make a necktie skirt. There are several free patterns online for both adult and child skirts.

(07/25/2009)

By J

I am looking for uses for men's ties.

By janet from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Wow! I was about to post this neat craft I found before I saw your question. (I was searching for a craft question about Valentine's boxes that I saw a few days ago). Anyway, here's a really pretty bag you can make, called a Neck Tie School Bag (it looks like a clutch purse) at Craftbits.com (I'm a member there, and it's great! There is a growing supply of crafts there!)

craftbits.com

God bless you and Happy Valentine's Day! (02/08/2010)

By Erin813

RE: Crafts Using Neck Ties

Crafts Using Neck Ties

I've done dyeing the Easter eggs using silk ties. Wrap the egg(s) in silk tie using rubber bands. Boil eggs for hard boiled eggs. The pattern on the tie will be on the egg. And I found that each tie will make 10 eggs. Also, you could make a skirt or a quilt out of ties. (02/14/2010)

By carolcoen

Crafts Using Neck Ties

I used to have a book called Daddy's Ties that had a ton of ideas and instructions. Hope you can still find it!
(02/15/2010)

By elle

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Here's a cute heart pin made from neckties. I would wear it all year long, not just for Valentine's Day. Good luck!

craftstylish.com (02/15/2010)

By Rachel's Mom

Crafts Using Neck Ties

Here is a neck tie wreath that was posted a couple of years ago and I absolutely love the idea! thriftyfun.com (02/15/2010)

By Ann

Does anyone have any craft ideas and instructions for reusing or recycling silk ties?

Load More