Making a Valentine Goody Snake
An old men's tie and a few other supplies are all you need to make this cute treat filled snake for Valentine's Day. This is a page about making a Valentine goody snake
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Kids love to create and what child wouldn't like a pet that is full of treats? Purchase a bunch of ties from a thrift store and you can make one for all your classmates!
Approximate Time: approximately 1 hour
- man's tie
- 2 wiggle eyes
- 1 pipe cleaner
- 1 pom pom
- scraps of felt
- pony beads
- treats to fill the snake
- Start by bending end of pipe cleaner into a small loop. See photo. Sew to small end of tie on the back side.
- Slide on beads and start to bend pipe cleaner to wrap around tie. This will form the rattle at the tail of the snake. Make about 3-4 wrappings of beads. When you reach your last bead, loop the end of the pipe cleaner around the last bead to keep all of them on.
- Stitch around pipe cleaner in a few places to secure to tie.
- Sew on pom pom to tip of tie.
- Cut out a simple pair of glasses from felt to fit the wide end of tie.
- Stitch or glue glasses onto front side. See photo. If stitching, be careful to only sew through top layer of tie. This wide end needs to remain open to put the candy inside of tie.
- Glue wiggle eyes inside of glasses.
- Cut a forked tongue and glue or stitch to underside tip at the wide end.
- I used jelly beans to fill my snake but any candy that will fit inside will work. I keep mini Ziploc bags on hand and put approximately 5 in each bag. Drop your candy in and push down to end of snake. Tie a ribbon in between each candy until you reach the head. Tie one last ribbon which will keep the snake closed.
Note: I cut little hearts from felt and sewed one on top of every section with a button on top of the heart. This is optional and you can glue these on instead of sewing. I tied each of my ribbons into single bows so a child can just pull to release. Just shake the snake and the candy comes out.
By Mary from FL