Repairing a Toilet Scratched by a Plumber's Snake

Category Bathroom
The use of a plumber's snake is common for removing clogs in a toilet. Unfortunately, the metal snake can leave unsightly marks in the bowl. This is a guide about repairing a toilet scratched by a plumber's snake.

We have metal marks left in the toilet bowl from using a snake to get rid of a clog. How can we remove those metal marks?

By Don from West Bend, WI

Answers

Best Answer

Get down and dirty with Barkeepers cleanser and elbow grease. If that doesn't do it nothing will.

Best Answer

Usually the metal marks are "written" onto the porcelain like chalk on a blackboard.
Watkins Toilet Bowl cleaner or hydrochloric acid cleans that off quickly. Make sure the porcelain is completely dry first. Even the tiniest bit of moisture dilutes the hydrochloric acid to impotence, since they are not allowed to ship the pure stuff any more.

Have FUN!
DearWebby

We recently had to "snake" the bathroom toilet, leaving scratch marks. We got most off with Comet, but does anyone have suggestions for the tougher scratch marks?

Teri from St Louis, MO

Answers:

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

I'm assuming (I know that is dangerous) that the "snake" has left a gray metallic deposit on the hard glaze. Acidic cleaner will remove the metal by reduction. Metal salts are more soluble in water than the metal residue. (01/10/2007)

By Chewie

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

Rust Stain Magic for toilets, sinks, and clothing will also remove metal scratches miraculously from porcelain and sinks. Spray it on, wait 5 full minutes or so, rub it off, and rinse/dry. Try it. I just know it will work for you unless whatever you might have already done coated the metal stains? Good luck and God bless you. : ) (01/27/2007)

By Lynda

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

Brilliant advice re: pumice. It was scary to use, but it absolutely worked in removing scratches to the porcelain toilet. Wow! Thank you. (02/20/2008)

By Joey

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I recently scratched my bathroom sink and bath with my ring. I used my girlfriend's extra fine nail polishing stick and buffed up with metal polish, a perfect and invisible repair. (10/14/2008)

By Steve

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

I just used Soft Scrub with a magic stain eraser and it cleaned up most of the residue. I will probably go buy some Rust Stain Magic to pick up the last of it, though. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! (12/06/2008)

By Mike

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

My wife who is a dentist used a disposable porcelain marker that they use and it's back to new. See if you can ask your dentist to buy one. (12/24/2008)

By MrClean

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

I soaked my toilet bowl with Comet for two days. Some of marks left, but not all. I put Bar Keepers in for one day and now all marks have disappeared. (03/07/2009)

By julia Cheatham-Kimble

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

I used pumice stone on my toilet. It scratched it. Now I have a worse ring around the toilet. (05/24/2009)

By Robby

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

I just used Cleaning Creame for Smooth Top Ranges (cleaner for glass top stove) on the plumber's snake scratches in the toilet. Worked beautifully! (09/21/2009)

By bo

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

Several of you said the pumice bar worked with a little elbow grease. I guess I don't have the patience for the elbow grease. I had a bottle of "Metal Out" for our pool so I poured some in, let sit, and brushed with a toilet brush and magically all the scratches vanished like it never happened. Metal Out can be bought at any pool supply store. No elbow grease allowed! (08/03/2010)

By kklove

Top Comment

Turn off water for toilet. Scoop out the water. Sprinkle liberally with Bar Keeper's Friend and scrub with a dish scrubbing pad.

Anonymous
Top Comment

Toilet bowl must be free of water before using. Ceramic stove top cleaner worked 100% with very little scrubbing

I am looking for ideas for cleaning or repairing scratch marks left behind after snaking the toilet.

Gigi from FL

Answers:

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

You could look in the yellow pages under bathtubs. There will be bathtub and sink repairs listed. It may be possible someone listed could repair the toilet. You would have to call and also get a price quote. (08/18/2006)

By Dean

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

You might try turning off the water, flushing the toilet and then using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the marks. If that doesn't work I'd try gently using a pumice stone. Good luck. (08/19/2006)

By ShellyE

Toilet Scratched By a Plumber's Snake

The pumice stone will work fine getting the scratches off. May take a little elbow grease. Clorox Duel action toilet bowl cleaner is excellent. I let that soak the sides and then scrub with a non scratchy sponge after 15 minutes. That takes off even well water stains which are tough. You don't need to hire anyone else, it just looks scary. Pumice will not hurt the surface, although it seems like it would. (08/20/2006)

By Jill