Craft Ideas Using Men's Ties

I have a collection of old ties and would like new ideas for using them in sewing or quilting projects.

By Kathy E.

I have seen a tie quilt, in which the ties were sewn in alternating directions, skinny end butted next to the wide end. Then this was placed over the batting, then the backing, and quilted together by quilting between every 3rd tie. I also think it would make a great ladies vest, unstructured, without buttons, and loose. If you don't have a pattern, you can pin the ties over a completed vest to get a general pattern, and sew together. If you were able to sew them with a hidden stitch, it might not even require a backing.
Best of luck to you, sounds like whatever you make will be beautiful!

Ive seen a beautiful TUFFET (unique ottoman) made with old ties and its gorgeous and quite a show-stopper to decorate with.

Ive made tuffets from fabric strips and love how they turned out.

I used my now retired husband's work tie collection for coffee and tea pot cosies, a Christmas tree skirt, and a stocking for him to hang on Christmas Eve (we're newlyweds, got married last January). You can piece together the ties as they are, or you can open them up, cut them into patches and create a larger piece of fabric. I've done both, have to say that leaving them whole made for a very pretty tree skirt. But the piecing I did on the cosies was very cute too.

You can make cool wind socks or use as belt ties. Hope this helps.

Grandmothers Fan quilting pattern lends itself nicely to the use of ties, also dresdan plate. I recently saw where ties were used to cover the shade of a bedside lamp and it looked lovely.

I myself am going to try making wind socks with some ties I have collected with a christmas and halloween theme.

Crafts Recycled CraftsAugust 22, 2011
💘
🍀