Thrifty Doll Outfits

I'm an adult doll hobbyist, and I've learned that there's hundreds of dolls that have never had patterns made for them, whether she's a Timey Tell from the late 60s, or a Disney Little Princess on shelves now. While I love to sew, I also love to find new things for my dolls at second-hand venues - yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets.

It always amazes me how many dressed teddy bears I find out on a second-hand hunt - usually for less than a dollar! And if you can size your doll by sight (or with a small seamstress tape measure), you have a great source for complete, cheap doll outfits! Often even the shoes fit! Make sure the bear's outfit is removable - some bears clothes' are their bodies ! - and if it looks to be about right, you may only have to add a back closure or a bit of tailoring.

Check for stands and props, too. And if you don't want the now-nude bear, remove all the loose threads and donate him to your favorite thrift store or charity. It's a win all around !

Source: This is original, as far as I know, but I've mentioned it on my website,:

By Dorrie from Norman OK

Since I wrote this, I added a new page to my website, and you're invited to come see ! On it, I describe how to recycle a discarded 'dress is the body' stuffed doll into a dress for an entirely different doll.

I plan to recycle the head and hands of the original doll as a hand-puppet, and the stuffing is awaiting future use.

Dorie, You are a hoot! I looked at some of your website and bookmarked it to try and do some of this with a granddaughter. I love your writing. Carol

Your post came just when I needed it! I recently found 6 Barbies at the thrift store, mostly naked, but they were in like new shape, even their hair. I got them for 1.50 each. My 4 year old granddaughter has recently discovered Barbie so I thought I would make some clothing for them and give them to her. Thanks for the ideas!

Crafts Toys DollmakingJanuary 4, 2009
Making a No-Sew Sock Baby Doll
Making a No-Sew Sock Baby Doll
Pink Doll Sweater
Crocheted Doll Sweater Patterns
Woman Planning Outfits
Planning Outfits
Crochet Outfits for Polly Pocket Dolls
Crochet Outfits for Polly Pocket Dolls