Why are They Called Pitted Plums?

Why do stores sell pitted plums, meaning those without the pit? Would it not be better English to say "de-pitted"?

By Skeeta from SC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Well, one of the definitions of pit is to remove pits from prunes and cherries, hence the word pitted prunes.

The word 'pitted' is the only proper US English adjective to describe the noun. And if you look up the word de-pitted/depitted in the dictionary you won't find it ;-)

Here we would say they are "stoned" !

Marg from England

Marg, I like your explanation best! LOL

I love how the UK and the US have completely different names for many items :-) Also glad to know you call them stoned rather than de-stoned ;-)

In my humble opinion, "pit" is both a noun and a verb. When one removes the pit from a fruit, it is called pitting. Eg. "I am going to pit the olives." Thus, there are pitted and non pitted plums. It is one of the quirks of the English language.

Kudos to you for noticing, however. What bugs me is Bar-B-Que instead of Barbequed or Bar-B-Qued which would the proper past tense of that verb. Watch menus for similar poor use of the English language.

Two Ripe Plums on a Tree
Growing Plums
Two whole plums and one cut in half showings it's pit.
Growing Plum Trees From Pits
Canning Plums, Storing Plums. Selecting Good Plums. Ripe Plums on White Background
Canning Plums
Victoria Plums
Growing Victoria Plums
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 12:30:21 PM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.