Converting a T-shirt into Other Apparel

What can I do with a t-shirt that is two sizes too small? I really like it and would like to turn it into something I can wear.

By neo from Raleigh, NC

I have friends who have turned clothing into pillows.

I would cut out the sleeves also wet it then put it over the back of a chair to stretch it. Let it dry on the chair, if it's still not large enough when you put it on pull & stretch it more, good luck.

Back in the late '80s, when I was a super skinny teenager, I turned some t-shirts into skirts. I'd use the neck hole as a waistband, and then tie the sleeves together. It's been so long, I don't even remember if I tied them in the front or back.

If I wanted to do something like this today, I'd have to cut the neck hole drastically to be able to use it around my waist, and I don't know how well the sleeves would tie together. I'm sure it'd look a lot less cool/cute today than it did 20+ years ago (at least on me!).

Good luck. Hope you find some great ideas!

If the tee is large enough to fit around your hips, it can become a skirt. If the neck does not stretch enough, cut it on both sides along the shoulder seams until it does. Reinforce both ends of the cut with hand stitching so it won't rip. If short sleeved, sew the sleeve openings shut with hand stitches. Pull the tee skirt on, and tuck in the sleeves as pockets.

You can cut the tee open along the side seams if the neck and shoulders fit. You can cut strips of material similar in type(another tee maybe) and sew to both halves of the cut open tee, hemming at the sleeve edges and bottom. You can use matching, blending or contrasting material. I once used a print which matched a skirt I had made when the only tee I could find that went with it was a medium, and I wear XL/1X. Expanded it by about 2" on each side. Still wearing it years later.

If the tee has a graphic on it, you can applique it onto a shirt that fits you.

Make a tote/green grocery bag. 1. Lay it flat on a hard surface. Measure down 8" from the center of the neck. Mark a "U" shape and cut out. Sew across the bottom of the t. Cut off the sleeves (the openings make the handles)

Source: About.com T-Shirt Surgery

Altering Clothing on Sewing Machine
Altering Old Clothing Into New
Crafts Clothing ShirtsOctober 26, 2009
A baby stroller being used as a dog stroller.
Converting a Baby Stroller Into a Pet Stroller
Film Slide
Converting Slides to a Digital Format
Condos
Converting a Rental into a Condo
Currency Exchange
Exchange Rate Tips and Converting Currency
🎉
🎄