Making Vests With Pre-Quilted Fabric

I have a quick question for everyone and anyone that sews. I have about 3 yards of 3 different pieces of quilted patterned material. Originally I was going to make quilted totes, and then changed my mind. Now I would like to make a couple of quilted vests, since the weather is beginning to change.

My problem is this: How do I finish the raw edges on the quilted material, without winding up with bulky seams? Any assistance you guys can give will be much appreciated. I am kind of excited in beginning this project. Who knows, if they come out nicely, might be cute x-mas gifts.

Have a glorious rest of your week.

By Linda from NYC

You could use wide bias tape, grosgrain ribbon or even blanket binding to cover the raw edges. End and begin at the side seamm with a short overlap with the top tape's raw edge turned under. The inside seams can be trimmed with pinking shears, zig zag stitched, or serged if you have a serger. If you are sewing with 1/2" seam allowances, you can clip them to 1/4" after seweing, which also cuts bulk. Keep warm in the NY winter.

My suggestion would be to do flat felt seams. I would sew the seam twice. then trim one side so that only 1/4" is left. then fold the long side more or less in half and lay over the short side and stitch on the fold. you could also find these instruction in a standard sewing book. this would be the same seam they use for jeans. great seam, very finished look.

My personal choice would be to use a product such as Fray Check on the inside raw edges. When dry it really does prevent fraying and is not stiff. If you have pinking shears you could pink the seams and then use the Fray Check.

I have made several in years past. For the shoulder and side seams, I serged. For the rest of the vest, I used a medium bias tape or thin blanket binding. They turned out well.

To make a really FLAT flat-felled seam with quilted fabric do this. Make standard 5/8" seams. Trim one side of the seam down to 1/4" or slightly less. Pull out all the batting you can from this layer. On the other side of the seam trim the inside fabric down to 1/4", pull out all the batting you can from this layer. Fold the outside of the fabric over the raw edges and stitch on the edge to make your flat-felled seam. I use a zig-zag stitch to make it really flat.

Crafts Clothing How ToOctober 13, 2009
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
Pre Lit Christmas Tree
Setting Up a Pre-Lit Christmas Tree
🎄
🍂