Latex Primer Not Sticking to Walls and Paint Showing Through

I am using a latex gray primer over red paint and having many problems. The primer is not sticking to my walls and I can still see the red paint. What can I do?

By Linda from NC

Covering red is very difficult. Once I had to put four coats on to get it covered. The only reason that I can think of that it is not sticking is that it was not cleaned and rinsed first.

One reason that the paint is not adhering properly may be that it wasn't properly cleaned before applying the primer (as Laniegirl suggested), and another could be that the red underneath could possibly be an oil based paint in which case the latex primer would have a difficult time sticking to the oil. You should scrape/remove as much of the primer as you can, in any way possible, then start again. Use a primer, such as Kilz, tinted to match your gray color. You may need more than one coat of Kilz to cover the red - apply as many coats of this primer as necessary to achieve complete coverage.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingApril 24, 2011
Kilz Primer
Kilz Primer and Paint Reviews
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
couple painting
How Can You Tell if Paint is Oil or Latex?
Latex Paint
Applying Latex Paint Over Oil Paint