Frugal Valentine's Notebooks

I have eleven grandchildren, ages 13 years to 3 months old, so even buying cards for holidays can become expensive. I love to send out something small to each child. In January, I scored a cheap alternative to Valentine's Day cards at my local grocery store. There in a grocery cart of "reduced price items" were 3x5 inch spiral notebooks with 5 different color covers, for $.17 each. I grabbed red, blue, green, purple, and black and came home to spruce 'em up. I had purchased a package of heart-shaped foamies, in various sizes and colors, for $1.00. I went to work covering up bar codes and advertising on the front of the books with hearts! Popped them in the mail and was pleased with my very frugal Valentine's Day cards!

By Christie from Poulsbo, WA

Christie,

I have 10 great-grandchildren that I like to send cards to on special holidays.

I send cards for Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and of course their birthdays.

I have the Hallmark Card Studio and it is so much cheaper to print my own cards.

A lot of times I will print just the verses inside the card and do the fronts myself.

This is something you might want to check into.

I just love to hear stories like this and I think it is such a shame that young people aren't as eager as my generation (mid 50s) to search around and then make something that is attractive, creative and best of all ...Cheap!!! I am a teacher and I try every chance I get to teach young children about reusing things and how creative it can be. Keep it up!