Childhood Candy And Toys For High School Reunion

I'm planning our 30th HS Reunion, and am in charge of decorating the hall. Knowing that many people will be shy and bring spouses who won't know anyone, I've come up with a decorating idea that encourages interaction and laughter.

Down the center of each table, I'll run streamers, in our school colors. Then, I'll lay out packages of candy and toys, from our childhood, the 60's and 70's. For example, boxes of candy cigarettes, pkgs. of pop rock candy, wax lips, gold mine bubble gum bags, etc. Also, small wooden yo yo's, glow in the dark peace-sign necklaces. In the center of each table, will be a centerpiece, including more nostalgia items to bring up conversation and memories.

I know this will be a hit! Just mentioning "pop rocks" has made some of us recall trying to eat them in civics class....not knowing they'd make loud noises! And in the middle of all of this, I am laying strips of laminated pictures, from our yearbook. I was going to laminate pages of the yearbook as placemats, but think that smaller strips, along with the candy and toys, will fit better.

By Kathy B. from Tampa Area

Top Comment

As old as I am, I'd hardly realize they're "old". LOL

In MY classes, of the 50's-60's, it was a big thing to

make tiny vials of "cinnamon toothpicks" and pass them around to help us get through the gruelling days. My parents were terribly strict, grounding me for a full six weeks if I made less than highest grades. Needless to say, I did, and it paid off now

that I'm required to 24/7caregive and Home School

my grandson for the past 6 !/2 years! Caliopes of

wax , Starks Wafers, and tiny peanutbutter bars were my favorites! You could also have a snow-cone

stand in one corner with the PLAIN old fashioned

syrup basic flavors? That's when blue meant coconut, reds could be anything from cherry/strawberry/ bubblegum/ Hawaiian punch to

"rainbow", because red's dominate other colors.

I might have attended at least ONE of our reunions over the years, if it had been planned so wholesome as this, but all of the invitations were BYOB's and that was NOT something I was interested in participating in, or being around. Alcohol almost destroyed mine and my ex-husband's relatives, and I discovered after the fact that my ex was a closet alcholic after he left, having his "reunions" each time

he traveled! You put a lot of effort into this. Remember to consider Cotton candy and Candy apples, as well? The thoughts of these items made me smile today. Thanks! God bless you. : )

That sounds totally fun! you're right, the goal should be to help people have a good time, not to have them stare like it's a museum. Good going!

That's a great idea. We were just at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. They have packages of various candies from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. Might be something you could use.

That's awesome - I wanna come! hehe Sounds great!

I love your idea of having childhood candy & toys for favors at your high school reunion! Where did you find them? Is there somewhere online that we can order them from? Thanks for the idea!

~Linda in Seattle

reisty2 @

Cinnamon toothpicks were popular in the 70's as well, they had the packs of them but they had no taste. You had to go to the drug store and get the cinnamon oil and soak them at least overnight. Love the whole idea. Jolly Ranchers came in flat sticks of candy back then. Now & Laters. Gosh, I'm old. Lol.

My 30 yr reunion is this year and never knew they had others so this will be good. It will be at a park and they have included the class before and after us as we want to have a nice turnout and see more old friends. Most I have not seen since H.S.

Party Favor Ideas
High School Reunion Party Favor Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties High School ReunionJune 27, 2007
Photo of a large high school and its football field.
High School Activities Ideas
Woman with Gag Gift for Family Reunion
Gag Gifts for Family Reunion
A high school graduate holding a sign that says hire me.
Getting a Job With a High School Diploma
High School Reunion
Making Memory Books for a High School Reunion