Labeling Your Quilts

I like to sew a lot. I wanted to make my friend's first baby a special quilt. I made the flock of geese pattern. The quilt was unique and I had a lot of fun with it.

When you make a quilt for someone, make it even more special by making a label saying "This quilt was made with love for:___". Add a second line with the name of the quilt and the date. I realize that a lot of quilts I've seen didn't have a label.

Check this quilt out my friends.

By Maria from Somerville, MA

Maria, I think this is a wonderful tip but I want to know how you make the label. What material is used? How do you make the lettering? How do you attach it to the quilt? Is it permanent? Maybe this is a no brainer for a quilter but I have no clue how you go about doing this.

Thanks,

Stella

I embroider a label in and number them. This is from years ago and many quilts ago.

There are a variety of ways to make the label. It can be as simple as a permanent pen writing on a square of fabric which is then attached to the back.

I like making the label as a small pocket on the back and inserting info about the quilt -- fabric content, washing instructions, personal note, etc.

Name--add maiden name for easy reference history

Date

City where it was made

What a beautiful quilt. Wish I had the patience to tackle a project like this. It must have taken you months.

How beautuful! Your friend is so blessed to have someone as talented and special as you as her friend.

You are sooooooo talented!

Gorgeous quilt!

How about including embroidered washing instructions?

There are people out there who, to this day, wash everything in hot and on the hottest setting on the dryer and wonder why the clothing shrinks, becomes bleached out...

I'm a cross stitcher. I label my projects by stitching in my name and date by a cross stitch or embroidery. Especially the year! Sometimes I add the month I finished it. I usually pick a corner.

Maria,

You are such a talented woman. I love your cake creations and now your quilts. Keep it up. What a legacy you are building for so many to enjoy. I look for your posts!

Blessings!

Jennifer CA

This is a beautiful quilt! When I make labels for my quilts, I embroider the information on a small square of plain colored material that matches the quilt. I then sew this label onto one of the corners of the quilt.

My mother in law's quilts have her name embroidered and the the dates she makes it

like if she starts it in 1976 and finishes in 1978 thats

what she puts on it and her name . I think that

is nice touch and I love my quilts.

love that quilt, i know your friend will also

This quilt is lovely; I can feel it was made with a lot of love. This baby is so lucky to have so much love around!

Maria - This quilt is beautiful! You truly amaze me with your artistic talents.

What a beautiful quilt! I know the baby will love it.

I have my daughter use her embroidery machine to put information on one of the squares. For instance: Made with love for Casey Nicholas Smith by Aunt Carol Hanna 12-25-89. Top Acrylic, Back Polyester. Machine wash warm, dry low or warm.

Did you hand quilt it or machine quilt it? It is a nice looking quilt. My mother would embroider by hand my kids quilts and there names on them she would use a coloring book and copy them with copy paper. They still have them and my girls are 39 and 40 years old now.

Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.
Quilting Tips and Tricks
Crafts QuiltingNovember 9, 2005
Labeling Children's Belongings
Labeling Children's Belongings
Image of vintage quilt composed of triangles.
Caring for Quilts
Rag Quilt
Rag Quilt Patterns
Old Quilt
Crafts Using Old Quilts
🎉
🎄