Decorating with Quilts

Category Decorating
Faux and mass produced quilts provide an inexpensive way to decorate your home. If you are lucky enough to have made or inherited actual pieced quilts all the better. This is a guide about decorating with quilts.

I love quilts so much because they are not only warm, but they are colorful and useful, and they are a part of our history. I was at Walmart and I found this colorful pillow sham and I had to buy it. The sham looks like a quilt but is not sewed like a quilt, but rather just a print.

It is so beautiful that I am going to start collecting shams and faux quilts. It is one way to have a house full of quilt-looking designs, without paying the high price for quilts at the store.

My grandson's youth bed is up against the wall, and since he is an active sleeper, he kept crashing into the wall and waking himself up at night. To solve that problem, I hung one of his decorative quilts on the wall behind his bed.

Now the quilt softens the blow of his nighttime crashes and we all get a better night's sleep.

To save our new sofa and recliners in our family room when we had a new baby, I went to a discount store and purchased several quilts on sale for $10. The quilts were all the same and the colors matched my decor. We use the quilts as throws over the furniture. That way, when the baby spits up or our toddler gets messy, the nice new furniture doesn't get wrecked. The quilts are nice to use because they are a bit absorbent (because of the batting inside). You could also use old quilts or blankets you had around the house, I just didn't have any extra. I also thought it was nice they matched and the bright colors and patterns really spiced up the room.

I've used these quilts as emergency towels when my son spit up; I've used them to wrap him up like a burrito when he had a diaper blowout (to save the carpet). I've also used them to cover the floor if he is eating something crumbly. They are so easy to clean, I just dump them in the washing machine and they can be dried in the dryer relativity quickly. Because I don't have a lot invested in time or money, I don't really care if they get wrecked.

I purchased my quilts at Old Time Pottery, but I've seen them on sale sometimes at other national discount chains. You just have to grab them when they go on sale.

By Jess from Brownsburg, Indiana