Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Crunchy Horse Treats Recipe

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I'm looking for a recipe for crunchy horse treats, like those found in farm stores. Thanks!

Kim from WI

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By vanessa dalton 12 10/30/2006 Flag

Here is some recipes that I have found. Hope this helps.

Apple and Oat Treats

Treat your horse or pony to these simple squares made of wholesome ingredients. Keep them fresh in the fridge. Remember not to feed too many of any treat too often.
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup oat bran cereal or ground oatmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour (approx.)
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 350F
Oil a 9inch x 9inch square cake pan
Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. The batter will start to shrink away from the sides and it will be firm to the touch.
Slice into squares while still warm. Keep chewies in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or bag.

Carrot and Apple Treats

Your horse will love the sweet crunchiness of these cookies. They keep well in an air-tight container. Never feed too many treats too often.
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup bran
1 cup molasses
1 cup grated carrot or apple
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 375F
Oil two cookie sheets
Put aside a small bowl of white sugar and a drinking glass with a flat bottom.
In a large bowl mix all the ingredients thoroughly. The mixture shouldnt be too wet, and should stick together.
Add more flour to make the mixture firmer and hold together if necessary. Drop by teaspoonfuls, about 1 &frac; inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Grease the bottom of the glass, dip it in the sugar, and stamp the cookies to flatten them slightly. Bake for about 10 minutes. This makes about 25 cookies, depending on the size. Store in an air-tight container or bag.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jessica (Guest Post) 11/03/2006 Flag

thankz for the ideas ive been looking all over for thease treats for my lovely chestnut gelding these are cheap and easy to bake thanz ALLLLLL OooOOOTTTTT

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By splendour (Guest Post) 12/02/2006 Flag

cool!!! is it ok if i post these recipes on my website???
thanks!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kat (Guest Post) 01/06/2007 Flag

These cookies are great!!! my horses loved them. even Becky,and she's the picky one. Thanks alot I finally found a horse treat she likes!!!

Kat

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By bob (Guest Post) 10/05/2007 Flag

umm, mine isnt really a crunch one, but here it goes! My BFF's horses love this!
Horse Salad
1/2 apple per horse
chopped carrots
corn syrup or molasses.
Tumble weed
oats
mix together, and serve in grain pans

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Anna and My Horse Shaker (Guest Post) 03/15/2008 Flag

I have been looking for horse treat recipes that are crunchy If someone has a recipe like that it would be great my horse will like a crunchy horse treat then a gross soft one. thanks to all Anna and Shaker
E mail Frankie horses@ yahoo.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By SarahandJake (Guest Post) 11/08/2008 Flag

I used this recipe but substituted the bran for 3/4 cup Grape Nuts Cereal and 3/4 cup dry Oatmeal. They were really crunchy!

Carrot and Apple Treats

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup bran
1 cup molasses
1 cup grated carrot or apple
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 375F
Oil two cookie sheets
In a large bowl mix all the ingredients thoroughly. The mixture shouldn't be wet, and should stick together.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Carrot and Apple Treats

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup bran
1 cup molasses
1 cup grated carrot or apple
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 375F
Oil two cookie sheets

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes