Using Vinegar in an HE Washing Machine

How would vinegar affect the new washing machines that states you should only use products with the (HE) symbol on it?

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Well, I never thought of it hurting my HE washer and so far, so good. I've used vinegar for a couple of years instead of fabric softener and to keep towels fresh and if it's hurt the machine I can't tell.

I have used it too, though I just got my machine not too long ago and still no problems. I can't imagine vinegar harming the machine. What you can do is use 1/4 cup instead of the recommended 1/2 cup (that's what i do) just to be on the safe side. With those machines you seem to need less of everything! :)

I have to agree with the other posters. I've had a high efficiency LG Steam Washer for nearly 2 years now and have used vinegar as a softening agent the entire time with no problems at all.

Answer

Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 6, 2009
A load of red dyed clothing in a front loader washing machine.
Dyeing Clothing in the Washing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 6:31:31 PM on 10.0.2.44 in 905 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.