Removing Poop Odor from Garden

I live in a country house with 2000 sq. meters of garden, no plants, just trees and earth. I have lots of dogs and collect their poops regularly, nevertheless some of them skip my attention. When it rains or when there's excessive heat in the summer, some unpleasant odor can be smelled.

I desperately need some liquid or powder that can be spread to the ground and without harming dogs, cats, birds or anything to disinfect my garden from that odor. Thanks a lot.

VT

Try epsom salt. If you live near a 99 cent store, they sell a liter of lavender scented epsom salt. Spread it down and when it gets wet it clears the odor away.

I am not sure, but I think that Epsom Salts will kill anything that is growing in the ground. Be careful. I would check it out before putting any kind of salt on the ground. Also it might harm the dogs. They tend to eat some strange things.

Is it possible some of the odor is blowing from the neighbor's house?

I'd think that a nice dose of lime will sweeten the earth. It can be hand-cast easily. Just tote a bucket of it around and spread it as you would chicken feed. I know it's impossible to keep the pups out of the garden, and fencing is very expensive, but try this. Hammer some stakes into the ground around the perimeter of the garden. They can be lath strips or even just hearty twigs from the trees. Then get some fishing line on a large roll and run it around the garden in several rows. Wrap it around the first stake several times to make sure it stays put, then go to the next stake and wrap it around that one, and repeat until the perimeter is "secure."

You might also want to take some light-colored plastic and cut it into strips, tie them to the top row as a warning to the dogs that there's something there. I'd use a plastic garbage bag, since we all know they'll never degrade. The breeze will keep them fluttering and may even help to keep birds out, as well. I hope this helps. Polly from Michigan

I was thinking about your situation and realized we have a parallel. My daughter's dog was relieving himself all over the back yard. Our yard is much smaller than yours and we also experienced a problem of not being able to locate the piles. I decided where I'd rather have the deposits, collected a bunch of them in plastic bags, placed the bags in and around the desired location, and when we walked him in the yard, took him to the piles and let him do a good bit of sniffing.

Then we walked around the yard, letting the dog lead, and steered him back to the piles to do his business. That's pretty much all it took to change his habits. Probably took 2 days. After the next big rain, why don't you try this as possibly most of the mess will have been drenched and dissolved and you can start by marking the appropriate locations. In fact, you can gather up the stuff right now and put the bags where you want the dogs to relieve themselves. Since you said you have several dogs, how about choosing 4 separate locations so that the dogs don't feel as though they are using a crowded space and stepping in messes.

When locating poop, I sprinkle kitty litter on it before picking it up. This keeps the insects off of it and also makes it easier to pick up. I also feel it cuts down on odors and don't believe it is harmful to the soil.

Dogs already prefer the corners of the "yard" as they'd better not walking on their poop, apparently. It's not a question of perfect location of the poop so that to collect them all, as they also dig in the ground and bury them.

It's also not a question of keeping the dogs away from the "garden", as I said there are no plants just earth and trees. Yes, it's possible the odor to blow from the neighbour's house, but I must do my best to exclude mine as a source of it.

Lime I'm afraid it could harm the animals, and epsom salt someody said, too. Cannot believe it's that difficult to find out a solution, this is not the first time I'm looking for it, through different channels and always result to nothing.

I have heard that coffee is a natural odor remover. So when you make your coffee and you have the left over you just chuck that on your garden. But it has to be natural coffee (obviously not instant coffee) Which doesn't harm the animals or the plants. But to be honest it will take a while before it works, but its worth the try.

Lime, it will not hurt, any thing or anyone. Gardeners put lime, in our gardens every year.

Remove all poop that is visible. Double dig your garden soil > this should refresh your soil completely, and hence removing the odor. Dust your entire soil area with Cayene pepper powder, then sprinkle with moth ball flakes Do not plant anything for 2 weeks. Religiously keep dusting the area with the pepper and mothball flakes.

After that, you should be able to plant without poop. I would also suggest that after planting, surround the bed with the pepper/flake mixture for the remainder of the growing season. Good Luck Hedera

I'm sorry, I did not read your posting very well. When I saw garden, I immediately thought > flower beds. Sorry.

Salt will kill your grass. I have a friend that has a Poop Pit for her dogs. Its an old kiddie pool she filled with soil in the corner of her garden. She trained the dogs to do their business in that area. It took her a few weeks. She cleans out the area very regularly, making it a good place for the dogs to go potty, and it works. Just a thought. Good luck.

There is a special powdered lime called Hydrated lime, sold at most "specialty" gardening centers. It will not harm the pets, and kills odor in the ground. I also go to Wal-mart, in the pet department, and buy the large bale of CEDAR shavings, used for animal cages. After I apply the lime, I put a nice layer of CEDAR shavings on top, so the animals are not walking, or sniffing directly in the lime powder. I stress CEDAR, because fleas and ticks will find PINE shavings as a wonderful breeding medium. What the lime doesn't de-odorize, the CEDAR will-both are natural, and pet safe. When you do your spring/fall raking-remove any large areas of "old" CEDAR shavings, and start again. You will also see that earthworms... who tell me my soil is good-do fine under this "topical" treatment!!

P.S. I agree, that trying to train the dogs to relieve themselves in a localized area would cut your task down considerably.

I have rescued dogs for over 50 years. There is a catalog and you can go online. Its Dr. Fosters and this works. I have a 100 lb great pyr for about 3 years now and a 3 lb yorkie for about 8 yrs. I have a very tiny backyard.

They sell a thing called doggiedooley. Follow the directions. If you live in the country and have a septic tank you can tie into it. You can do it in the city but you will get in big trouble if they find out. You will dig a hole in the ground for this and move it once you fill it up. You will need a shovel to move the waste to the dooley system. You could also make your own with hard plastic. Some animals do not like to go in anothers poop, they could roll in it or grossly eat it. I know some people who have horses and use reg Epsom salts and not a flavored kind with lots of water on grassy spots.

Do not use a cat litter as rodents like it along with poop from all animals. Any kind of groundup pepper could hurt your dogs and cats. If you bury your owns dog poop it usually does not like the area for awhile. All animals are different, just like kids. Mothball flakes or balls are a gas. Not good for animals. Its suppose to rid of rodent families. The ones I had played with them and dug up all my bulbs just to be mean. Go figure...

In Texas and Louisiana termites and bees love wet cedar anyway you have it. Go figure again. Pet stores sell one handed pooper scoops if you do not want to use your garden tools. Oh and best of all you can call a vet and ask questions.

So there is no other option?

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMarch 16, 2009
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets  0 Layout Assign
Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets
Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
🎄