Repairing a Chipped Chalk Board

I have a large piece of slate chalkboard from an old schoolhouse. I want to hang it for my children to play with. However, it has a sharp chip on one side. The area is still pretty thick. Can I sand it down, and if so, what should I use?

Kris B from South Dakota

I don't know of any way you could sand down a chalkboard but I was thinking maybe the next best thing would be to put a frame around the whole thing. It might cover up the sharp edge. I don't know how big the chip is but after you frame it and it still doesn't cover the chip maybe you could use some type of filler to fill in the hole, sand it and then you could paint it with chalkboard paint.

Crayola came out with a wall paint that makes a chalk board surface, you may be able to fill it in with that?

Home and Garden Repair OtherMay 7, 2006
Sidewalk chalk drawing.
Homemade Sidewalk Chalk
Cleaning Chalk Off Upholstered Furniture
Porcelain Clawfoot Tub
Repairing a Chipped Porcelain Tub
Granite Countertop
Repairing a Chipped Granite Countertop