NatureCrafts

Adhering and Preserving Leaves on Slate

I have just returned from Aspen, Co and have some yellow Aspen leaves I am drying in a flower press. I would like to permanently affix these to pieces of slate. Please advise as to how I should do this and preserve them once adhered. Thanks bunches!

Jane from Rustburg, Va

I'd use white glue mixed with water in a 50-50 ratio. This is the same thing as decoupage medium (Mod-Pog) only less expensive. Coat the undersides of the leaves with the white glue/water (after they have dried in the press) then coat OVER the top with 4 or more coats with the glue/water. The leaves will change color to brown eventually, to lengthen the time it takes for them to turn brown, keep them out of the sun or spray with a clear UV protecting finish when everything has sat & dried for a day or more.

I have also used white glue to glue my dried leaves to different things and it works well.