Using a Car Sunblocker for My Kitchen Window

My kitchen gets very hot in the summer due to a large kitchen window. Even with the shades closed and slanted downward, and the ceiling fan running nonstop, I could not block the sun's rays from coming in.

I purchased a $6 car sun blocker from Walmart and cut them to fit my window measurements. I taped them to the window with scotch tape and voila! No more sun! My kitchen was no longer hot and I did not have the run the air conditioner as much.

By Amylucille from Fremont, Ohio

You can buy very cheap plastic on a roll that is made to cover windows. It is tinted. It blocks all heat but you can still see out. I covered a whole patio door once when I lived where this window faced full west in the summer. It was amazing. From the outside it looks like a mirror but from the inside it looks like a tinted window.

I live in Arizona and I love the car window shade idea, but i have very tall windows and to Lilac, where do you find this plastic cover ? I have looked everywhere for such an item as you described. Thanks.

Sonigram, you can order this window film online or buy it at a home improvement store. I bought some on clearance last fall at either Lowe's or Sutherland's, I don't remember which (and since it was on clearance, I don't know what department it would normally be in). Be careful to get the kind you want. I wanted the mirrored sun-blocking (UV blocker) type to keep out the heat, but inadvertently ended up with Privacy film, which also blocks much of the visible light (it's very dark). I'm not going to be very happy with it come the gloomy days of winter, but I surely appreciate the way it cuts the hot, bright summer sun. Now that I know it is privacy film, though, I'm only going to use it in the bedroom and bathroom windows, and get some clear UV-blocker for the others.

Woman Cooling Her Home With Additional Insulation
Cooling Your Home
Better Living Green Living CoolingOctober 6, 2006
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior