Sewer Smell Coming from a Faucet

What causes sewer water smell when you turn on water in upstairs bathrooms?

Darla

Do you have a septic system? And, have you gotten the water checked?

I am interested in the responses to this inquiry. I am having the same issue...only the upstairs bath. The one downstairs seems to be fine. I called the local water company and they did not have a clue what could cause it. Sure would like a remedy!

To pre-answer some questions: City water, no septic system, Prince Georges County Maryland. MtM

I've had that a few times, both different reasons.

First off it turned out to be the water pipe downstairs was blocked with toilet stuff from upstairs - can't remember the plumber's explanation for that one.

Second, it was a blockage in the bath but the drain seemed fine but after spending many hours with a wire and getting out lots of gunk, the smell improved. Especially after putting down a cup of bicarb of soda, some white vinegar, letting it rest for a while, then washing down with hot water.

Perhaps one of these methods will work for you.

I have a plumber friend who tells me mostly its as simple as empty pipes and bacteria. Basically some pipes are set in at funny angles due to the limited amount of space to lay them occasionally and the only way to fix it short of re plumbing, (assuming drain clearing remedies companies have tried and failed to solve the problem), is to run hot water through them every day just for a few minutes. Add a small amount of liquid bleach say a capful afterward without rinsing. This solves it, but it needs to be kept up permanently.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingSeptember 25, 2008
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Car Air Conditioner
Smell Coming From a Car Air Conditioner
house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line
🎉
🎄