Grilling Bagels in a Cast Iron Skillet

I like to grill bagels with butter in my cast iron skillet. However, sometimes the bagels will not lay flat and part of the bagel will not be grilled. I priced a grill presser which was made out of heavy cast iron for $20. The kind they use in restaurants to lay on top of bacon. Before I purchase this expensive item does anyone have any other ideas that might help?

Onesummer from Georgia

How about the good old Flat Iron? I'm sure these can still be found at a Garage Sale or some other charity sale or shop.

Do you have another skillet or pot the same size or smaller that you can use?

I always grill my English Muffins in a cast iron pan. All I do is set a smaller cast iron pan on top of them!

The Food Network cooks like to wrap a brick in foil and use that.

Why not cover a brick with foil and use that to keep your bagels flat....or perhaps some other heavy object. The brick should be washed first as good as possible but covering with some foil will keep from transferring anything dirty from the brick. I have seen them use foil covered bricks on foodnetwork to do paninis.

You might save a large sized can, pour in enough water to weight it, and place it directly on top of the bagel. I personally like the Brick'n foil method, but the can is somewhat easier if you're a little gal.

This isn't for a cast iron skillet, but what I do is butter them and then I broil them in the oven for a minute or two.

if you have a george forman grill, this is great for grilling bagels, sandwiches, paninis, etc.

take care, claudia

I use brick that has been washed and covered with heavy duty foil. Works like a charm.

If you have a pan (pie pan, cookie sheet for a toaster oven...) that can withstand the heat of the skillet and is small enough to fit, place it on top of the bagels and then put a heavy can on top of this to weight it down. Know however, that this weighted can can come tumbling off with changes in heat as the bagels may shift.

I have tried the washed brick in foil, and have to tell you that my conscience always grumbles because I wonder if it is really and truly clean or if something is leaking through the foil or the openings in the foil.

Can you just go to a hardware store and buy a bacon press? I did and am a lot happier.

Hit a couple of flea market/junk stores, I have seen them in the past. Should not cost too much, just clean real well.

I vote for another cast iron skillet on top to smoosh 'em down. That's how I cook panini-style sandwiches!

I always put a fry pan on top of the item and weight it down with my "cooking brick". I bought a new brick, scrubbed it down well and covered it with aluminum foil, which can be changed as needed. Works great.

Fran H

CT

I have a cast-iron grill pan that is perfect for this. I always weight it down with another skillet. I have 6 cast-iron skillets from 6" to 14" sizes. If they are seasoned right, you never have to worry about things sticking. Use lard to grease them and then throw them in the fire for a while to season or just heat them on the stove and rub crisco or lard in them with a paper towel.

Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJuly 5, 2006
Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cleaning a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Seasoning a Cast Iron Pan
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Removing Rust from Cast Iron
Cast Iron Pan
Cleaning a Cast Iron Pan
🎄