Stripping Paint Off Oak Cabinets

Our house is 33 years old. Our dark oak kitchen cabinets were painted white many years ago. I'm tired of the dirty white color. Is is possible to strip the cabinets down bare and then restain them? What products would you recommend to do this?

Ace from Nashville, TN

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Try QRB I heard it works. You can buy it at Ace Hardware. Please let me know if it does work.

Try a product called "Circa 1850" it is excellent.

If you doors have any grooves or pattern, this will

get right in there. No sanding just brush it on, let it sit then scrap off. Then you just wipe with water.

Must be used in a well ventilated room, take your doors outside if you can.

I use Star 10 to strip off old finishes and although it's caustic, it works very well. It's a gel so it stays on the surface unlike the thin strippers. Be sure to use it in a well ventilated area and wear a respirator.

There are also some water-based strippers on the market but I haven't used them so I can't say how well they work.

Good luck!! :)

I don't know about stripping paint off of oak but I am having a heck of a time stripping paint off of popular wood cabinets. The paint is about 25 years old and tuff. the routed areas are the hardest to deal with. any ideas? and where can i find this Circa 1850?

I want to strip my Oak cabinets so I can refinish with a Cherry Oak colour. Anyone got any suggestions on how to do this with ease as I am not looking to kill myself with extremely hard labour.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingApril 6, 2006
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 10:38:51 AM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.