Dogs with Vision Problems

Does your dog have a vision problem?

By Sharka from Qld, Australia

Does Your Dog Have a Vision Problem?

A 16 year old toy poodle with cataracts which allow him to see only shadows owns me. He is otherwise healthy. He knows his way around in the house and yard, and so does well. I will not rearrange the furniture as long as we have him. Our vet advises against surgery, given his age. Having a nearly blind dog has presented few problems so far. He has been this way for about 2 years now.

You are remarkably compassionate! I am inspired by your kindness to the dear old pup!

I had the same problem with my Maltese. She lived to be 18. The last few years of her life she lost her sight due to cataracts, then her hearing loss made it so that she could only hear a loud clap of the hands. They do get along very well but I made a point of keeping her close so that she could feel my presence. Even her sense of smell seemed to go towards the end so it would take being up real close before she knew who was it was. You are right to keep things the same, not moving furniture around so he knows his way around. Animals adjust to disabilities just like people do and can live happy lives.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Our Yorkie has been blind for 3 yrs. from cataracts developing after diabetes. He is as happy as he ever was. His hearing and smelling seems to be more acute. We camp in a travel trailer on weekends in the summer. We spend the winter months in a different home in AZ. We just don't move things and he knows his way around all three places. He has us trained just the way he want us.

Photos Pets DogsSeptember 22, 2006
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
woman using eyedrops
Eyedrops or Supplements That Improve Vision
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars