Feeding Dogs Garlic and Onion

Category Health
According to the American Kennel Association, all parts of the onion plant are toxic to dogs. Raw or cooked, fried or powdered, onions and the rest of the allium family are harmful to dogs. N-propyl disulfide causes a breakdown of red blood cells, leading to anemia in dogs. Some owners feed their pets small amounts with no apparent harm. This is a guide about feeding dogs garlic and onion.

Is feeding my small dog of about 20 lbs 3 cloves of garlic dangerous? If so what will happen to my dog?

By Charlene G

Answers

Best Answer

Garlic, even in small amounts can cause hemolytic anemia. It is an ongoing disease and not easy to treat. DO NOT feed your dog garlic.

Best Answer

That much garlic will most likely kill your dog. The anemia caused by even small amounts of garlic is not worth giving it to your pet.

What would be the reason you would wish to do so? If you choose to do this anyway, please check with your veterinarian for his/her advice and any precautions offered.

I thought dogs weren't allowed to have garlic? Is this true? I read that they also should not eat onion or avocado, that surprised me.

By Lori from PA

Answers

Best Answer

There is so much misinformation out there concerning garlic and dogs! Of course we should never feed our pets garlic pods but garlic powder is in a lot of pet foods.

In fact, I have a dog meatloaf recipe that I got from my vet that includes a little garlic powder for seasoning. My dog is still alive and well and he's going on 5 years old.

Raw garlic and onion is not to be given to my dog, but is liquid, cooked, or powdered OK? These are called for in homemade recipes.

By Helen Stone from Royal, AR

Answers

Best Answer

Please check the poison control list from the ASPCA www.aspca.org/.../people-foods.html
Instead of garlic, I would put a little oregano on the food. (This was suggested by my dog's Oncologist.)

Jennifer Northern Virginia

My dog had a very bad skin infection and I now make him rice, peas, lamb, and garlic all cooked together. His skin has healed and he looks and feels great. What is the long term bad effect of garlic? It is cooked in his food and he never gets fleas even at the dog park.

By R

Answers

Best Answer

Check out this ...
www.petremedycharts.com/.../Garlic_for_pets.html

My dog eats the wild garlic growing in the woodlands. Will this do her any harm? (she is a Labrador)

By Bill G

Answers

You'd better ask your Vet because I think Garlic is poisonous to dogs.

Irrespective of Breed the end result is the same. Talk to your veterinarian. good luck.