AdviceDogs

Feeding Dogs Garlic

I thought dogs weren't allowed to have garlic? Is this true? I read that they also should not eat onion or avocado, that surprised me.

By Lori from PA

Right - no garlic, onions, avocados or grapes/raisins. There is something in each of these foods that their systems can't process. Also chocolate - the darker it is, the more toxic it is.

Anonymous

Anything in the allium family such as any type of onion, garlic and even lily's are toxic and can cause death poisoning depending on the size and breed of the dog (and cats). It also causes, among other diseases, Heinz Body Anemia.

The reason you shouldn't feed dogs avocadoes is because it can cause vomiting and diarrhea (which in turn can dehydrate your fur baby). They contain a substance (Persin) that they cannot digest properly.

And Rchinaberr is correct about grapes and raisins too. That also depends on the dogs size and breed and how much they eat. Too large of quantities will cause kidney failure.

As for immediate death toxicity from chocolate the doses are as follows (pretty frightening when you consider how small of an amount one ounce is):
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

There is so much misinformation out there concerning garlic and dogs! Of course we should never feed our pets garlic pods but garlic powder is in a lot of pet foods. In fact, I have a dog meatloaf recipe that I got from my vet that includes a little garlic powder for seasoning. My dog is still alive and well and he's going on 5 years old.