Is it financially practical to get a fishing license?

Is it financially practical to get a fishing license? We live about seven miles from the Snake River. The license costs $25.75 this coming year. We don't mind catching what other people call "trash fish." Carp are considered a delicacy in many parts of the world. Suckers are homely but so are lots of fish. I know how to prepare them to get rid of the excess water. I have even canned them which gives soft bones but is a little boring flavor-wise. If nothing else, they make fabulous fertilizer. Lots of people throw them up on the bank to die, and I could gather those up, too. We would probably eat fish a couple of times a week. What do you think?

Coreen from Rupert, ID

It seems to me you have more to think about when considering "financial practicality" than a few fish. Do you already own the equipment/supplies (tackle) that you will need? Will you have to buy much? Can you find your own bait?

At our house, we eat very little of what we catch, but the entertainment value of the fishing license is well worth it to us. (Several afternoons of fishing are cheaper than shopping or the movies, for example.)

Another consideration is that the price of your license helps waterways conservation in most states.

I think it is worth it; but you have to consider all factors when you make the decision.

----> I'd think it would be worth the money to spend the time away from the TV etc. with your family. You get your best one on one conversations with your children at times like these.

---> PLUS, I'd bet that fishing would lower your blood pressure, help relieve stress and downright be good for your health as long as you're bundled up warm and cozy. And to top it off get a good dinner besides!

--> SO, for all of those reasons, the money would be well spent!

It's cheaper than a shrink.

I think it would be better to pay for a license than have to pay for a ticket when you are caught by DNR officers for fishing without a license!

If you like fishing go for it.

We get our license every year. We ice fish too.

We are 90 percent catch and release. The fun is in the catching and seeing who gets the biggest fish of the day.

Go out and enjoy yourself.

My hubby loves to fish so he'd love it if he had a lake so close by. If you try fishing w/o a license, you'll be sorry....the fine will cost you more than the license! Fishing is a great past-time for the whole family....just being in the out of doors and doing something fun will be worth it. $25.75 is very cheap for a year's worth of fun!

have you looked at the prices for fish in the grocery store?? a couple of pounds of white fish are over $6 where i live. if you eat fish 2 times a week you would have paid for the license in less than a month.

not to mention you are getting out in the fresh air and sunshine and getting exercise (check out the prices for a gym membership and figure that in too)

you are also spending time together.

my grandad always made work into something fun. cutting wood meant a bon fire and weiner roast after. washing the truck meant driving into the river and having a water fight.

no telling what kind of memories you are building by gathering food through recreation. more power to you!!

Hi Coreen

We lived in Ashton,Idaho and my 2 kids [ages 4 and 6] caught fresh trout every day for lunch.in Fish Creek ..caught them on a bent sharpened bobby pin and a worm or cheese ball.they dearly loved it and it was nice to have the fish to eat.I live in Arizona now and pay $90.00 a year for fishing license .my kids are all grown but come out to fish and spend time with us on the Colorado River.and they still love to eat their catch.it's good to be with them and watch them having fun.the kids ,Grandkids and now the Great Grandkids all learned to fish..it's better than being in front of a computer playing games all day.

Travel and Recreation Recreation FishingNovember 24, 2006
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Woman Renewing a Driver's License
Renewing a Driver's License
License Plates Decorating a Wall
Crafts Using License Plates
Marriage License
Getting a Marriage License
🎄