Crafts Using License Plates

Category Other
You may have seen old license plates nailed to the walls of sheds and barns, but there are many craft projects that can be made using license plates. This is a guide about crafts using license plates.

Make an American flag from an old car tag.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

Spray paint the tag (license plate) using either red or white. That way you will only have to paint one set of stripes. Let dry.

1. Paint on your blue background for stars, let dry.
  2. Paint on your other colored stripes, let dry.
  3. Use your star stencil to paint on the stars. You can free hand if you like or don't have a stencil.
  4. When the stars are dry paint with glitter paint.
  5. When completely dry, seal with acrylic sealer and let dry.
  6. Put wire in holes at top of tag. Hang and enjoy. Great for the upcoming 4th.

By Sandy from Bluff City, TN

I am always trying to make or find something unusual for my grandson who has Aspberger's. Since he is now 19, it has gotten more difficult. He likes cars and soon will be going to an autotech school. So, digging through my packrat room, I found a car part (transmission pan?), an old lamp, and a set of old license plates. A little twisting, painting, and a splatter shield from Dollar Tree, here is the result.

Here is how to take an old license plate and turn it into a mail holder. Simply place it on the floor with the silver side up. Place your foot in the middle and fold both sides to the center. Make sure it stands flat. Place your mail in it and enjoy ! :)

Does anyone know how to make a license plate purse or tote with two plates? My husband is a volunteer fireman and they changed the design so I have 2 plates I would love to make something with! Thanks!

Jana from La Crosse, WI

Answers

I don't know how to make the purse but how about book ends?

You will need about 3 license plates to complete the project.

http://www.craf  ay;threadid=2162

You could get some plastic shoe boxes and attach them to the front and make planters!

I would punch and file holes all around the license plate. Then crochet between both sides width of your choice side and bottom and other side. Use wool color to compliment plate colors. Fashion a flap and clasp. You have a very good idea recycling old items. You can sew a liner for it too.

I have seen a real neat one and it took one plate and 2 Volkswagon hub caps from an old beetle. She had the plate rolled and put one hub on either end with a handle and a latch to open and close it and 2 hinges, she some how lined the plate with spray on glue and fabric and she lined it before putting it together. Good Luck.

I have made several, you can see them on my bog. I'd be happy to share instuctions. I only use 1 plate but you could make 2 purses.

http://princess  ead.blogspot.com

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I had never made a bird house before but I got the inspiration one day, this is the result.

I had some wood scraps I had laying around and some old license plates and some left over paint.

Comment Like this photo? 1