Old Fashioned Soda Fountain Treats (Part 3 - Sundaes)
Well, here we are with part three of our "walk down Memory Lane". I sure hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I did. The basic construction of a sundae is ice cream in the bottom with a topping and garnishes on top.
- Hot Fudge Sundae: vanilla ice cream, hot fudge whipped cream, 1 large maraschino cherry, chopped nuts (optional) -Arrange in a sundae dish and eat.
- Strawberry Sundae (Red and White): 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream, strawberry ice cream topping, a few slices of strawberry for garnish
- Double Strawberry Sundae (Red All Over): 1 scoop strawberry ice cream, strawberry topping slices of strawberry for garnish
- Pineapple Sundae (Sunshine): 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream, pineapple topping, and crushed pineapple and orange slices for garnish
- CMP (Chocolate, Marshmallow, and And Peanuts): This sundae is made by topping vanilla ice cream with both chocolate and marshmallow sauces. Finish with chopped peanuts and serve.
- Tin Roof Sundae: Assemble in a sundae dish, vanilla ice cream and top with chocolate sauce. Sprinkle with whole red skinned Spanish peanuts, holding the whipped cream.
- Chop Suey Sundae: 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup dates, 2 scoops vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup flaked coconut, 1/4 cup chow mien noodles - Boil the water and sugar together for 5 minutes and then add the raisins and dates. Pour over the ice cream and top with the noodles.
- Dionne Surprise (Quints born in the 1930's): 5 scoops vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, 5 Maraschino cherries, 1/4 cup crushed pineapple, 1/4 cup crushed strawberries - Line up the scoops in a banana split dish. Top each scoop with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry. Place the crushed pineapple along one side of the dish and the crushed strawberries along the opposite side of the dish.
- The All-American Sundae: 1/4 cup marshmallow syrup, 2 scoops vanilla ice cream, 2 Tbsp. crushed Maraschino cherries, 2 Tbsp. blueberries - Pour half of the marshmallow syrup into the bottom of a tulip glass and add the ice cream. Top with the rest of the marshmallow syrup and place the cherries on one side of the glass and the blueberries on the opposite side, leaving a white stripe down the middle.
- Washington Monument Sundae: 1/4 cup chocolate syrup, 6 scoops of different flavored ice creams, 1/4 cup raspberry syrup, 1 large banana (cut into disks), 1/4 cup nuts, 1 large banana (cut in half across it's width), whipped cream, candy sprinkles (red and blue), Maraschino cherries, 5 small American flags - Into your tallest glass, place a tablespoon of chocolate syrup and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Add 1 tablespoon of raspberry syrup and a few banana disks. Continue to add in the above order, the layers of ice cream, bananas, syrups, and nuts. When finished layering the ice cream, top with the halved banana in a mound of whipped cream. Sprinkle with the candies and put the cherries around the outside rim of the glass. Top with the American flags.
- The Bee Hive: Place 1/2 oz. of pure honey in the bottom of a sundae glass. Add 2 dippers vanilla ice cream and then drizzle 1 oz. of pure honey over the top. Sprinkle with chopped roasted salted almonds and garnish with whipped cream and a cherry.
- The Chocolate Rice Crispy: Place 1/2 of chocolate topping in the bottom of a sundae glass, add 2 dippers of vanilla ice cream, and cover with 1 oz. of chocolate topping and a good portion of Rice Krispies. Garnish with whipped cream and a cherry.
- Carnival Sundae: vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, warm popcorn, freshly popped Spanish peanuts - Place ice cream in a bowl. Top with warm caramel sauce. Sprinkle with popcorn and peanuts.
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, Spanish peanuts, Maraschino cherries
- Hot Fudge Cake Sundae: brownies (warm), vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, Spanish peanuts, Maraschino cherries - Place brownie on a dessert plate. Top with a little hot fudge then 1 scoop of ice cream. Finish with more hot fudge, be sure it drizzles down the sides. Spoon on whipped cream, sprinkle with nuts and top with cherry.
- Pure Ecstasy Sundae: chocolate ice cream, hot fudge sauce, gourmet quality chocolate bar, coarsely chopped toasted almonds, whipped cream
- Cinnamon Surprise Sundae: coffee ice cream, hot fudge sauce, chopped chocolate and almonds - Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Strawberry Shortcake Sundae: shortcake, strawberry ice cream, strawberry preserves, whipped cream, whole strawberries for garnish
- Cherry Cheesecake Sundae: 1 cup cherry pie filling, 2 teaspoons almond extract (divided), 3 ounces cream cheese (softened), 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, vanilla ice cream - In a small bowl, combine pie filling and 1 tsp. extract; set aside. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, milk, and remaining extract. Spoon ice cream into dessert dishes; top with cream cheese and cherry mixtures.
- S'more Sundae: Rocky Road ice cream topped hot fudge sauce, mini-marshmallows, whipped cream and graham cracker crumbs
- Leaning Tower of Oreo Sundae: Using chocolate fudge swirl ice cream as cement, stack as many Oreos as you can. Drizzle minty fudge sauce over the top and finish with whipped cream and a homemade Italian flag.
- Go Nuts Sundae: Peanut butter cup ice cream is topped with hot fudge, broken-up peanut butter cups, peanut brittle, and a garnish of whipped cream, grated chocolate, and a cherry.
- Colorado Avalanche: One scoop of eight different ice creams topped with nuts, hot fudge, strawberry topping, caramel topping, chopped Oreos, cherries and chopped Milky Ways. Top with whipped cream.
- The Brownie Trooper: Fudge brownie topped with chocolate chip ice cream, minty fudge sauce, mint-flavored whipped cream, mixed nuts and a cherry.
- Mount St. Helens: Vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, malted milk powder, whipped cream, and, if you can take the heat, a sprinkle of red hots.
Now for our grand finale.
- The All American Banana Split: One banana cut in half, one scoop each of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream laid down the center of the split banana, topped with chocolate sauce on the strawberry ice cream, pineapple sauce on the vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce on the chocolate ice cream. Lots of whipped cream, (the canned whip cream is the best for this) and top it all off with a cherry.
Now if any of you know of different or unusual ice cream confections recipes and would like to share, please post them in the feedback section.
You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream!
Next week: Sauces. Debra will wrap up by giving us several recipes for creating your own sundae toppings.
Here are the other parts of this series
About The Author: Debra Frick is a mother of 5 and a grandmother to 7 grandsons. She is a published author and poetress. Born in California, she now lives in Colorado Springs with her husband and many pets. Her hobbies include crocheting, reading, arts and crafts and bargain hunting.
By guest (Guest Post) Flag
July 24, 20070 found this helpful
This is so overwhelming that it takes some soul searching just to get through it all. I'm hungry just looking at it, but I have milk sensitivies and would have to adjust it to Almond milk, not cow's milk.
God bless you for this information. : )
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 22, 2016 at 7:27:36 AM on 10.0.2.38 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us