My Cactus Will Not Stand Up Straight

I have a 15 inch cactus that will not stand straight up. It started to lean and I repotted it. It was straight for a while then started to bend again. Is it OK to to plant above the roots further up the cactus? What do you suggest to keep it straight?

Thank you.

I'd put a ruler or dowel next to the cactus to give it something to lean against. Push the ruler into the potting soil. Tie it with a piece of string loosely if necessary. Maybe the cactus needs watering. Mine get kind of limp if they are very thirsty.

I agree with OliveOyl ... a dowel appropriate for the cactus size with twine tied around the two should keep your cactus straight. I make sure the plant is well-watered, and thoroughly wet, then l slide the dowel easily into the soil close to the cactus as possible or needed to keep the plant straight. I don't think, out of my 25+ plants, there is one without some kind of support. I find the best item to use are Chinese chop sticks, that you get at your local Chinese restaurant. Save them, and they work just great!

Yes, you can plant your cactus deeper in the soil to stabilize it. Just be careful to not rot the new part that will be underground. It will take it a little while to change into the non-chlorophyll producing skin of the below ground section. I found this website and article helpful:

Growing Cactus House Plants
Growing Cactus House Plants
Home and Garden Gardening CactusAugust 23, 2010
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Christmas Cactus
Starting a Christmas Cactus from Cuttings
Several small potted cactus plants
Helping a Dying Cactus