First Vegetable Garden Advice

Well, the hubster and I just bought a new (to us) house. It has a good size yard and I would like to plant a garden next spring, but I haven't grown anything in probably 20 years.

I already have a spot on the west side of the house picked out and want to make some plans of what to plant. What types of vegetables would be good (and easy) ones to start out with the first season?

I don't want to sprout seeds from scratch, as I don't have grow lights. I also want to grow my vegetables organically. I tried going to the public library for books on the subject, but they were either too general or about organic flower gardening. Any advice is appreciated.

By Barbara from Pittsburg, KS

I've found this site to have very good advice for the beginner (as I am) http://www.thegardenhelper.com/

Also check your local county extension office, you'll find they have a great master gardeners program and you can get some great local help from people who've been trained, that can begin to connect you with local gardeners. Computers are great but there's nothing like getting to know gardeners so you can trade and barter while learning new things.

O and you might also check to find a local seed company. I have found one, here in Oregon, which also grows what they sell so I know I, at least, stand a chance of getting similar results, because the plants grow here, and yes I buy many live plants from here too. Best of luck and have a great time in the garden, planning and all.