BehaviorToddler and Preschooler

Toddlers Fight With Each Other a Lot

My four year old and my two year old fight a lot, what do I do? I need some help.

By Gabby from Los Angeles, CA

You have to be firm. Mean what you say & say what you mean. If you don't they might get into more trouble when they get older, good luck.

Depends on what they are fighting about fighting for. The key to changing child behavior is to figure out what they want and find an appropriate way for them to get it (asking nicely, taking turns, etc.). Teach them how to get what they want appropriately and give them huge praise when they do it.

If you need more advice, email me at yvonne0319 AT live.com

First off, let me apologize ahead of time! I just have to say what people told me when I asked the same thing when my kids were young. Welcome to Motherhood! LOL No meanness intended there.

Cricketnc is right -- this is just a part of motherhood. My children are 18 months apart, and they can be playing great together one minute, and the next minute they're screaming at each other! Most of the time I don't intervene unless they start hurting each other physically or the language starts to get really hateful. Hang in there. When the oldest starts going to school, plus when they both get older, things will be different.

Separate them. If they want to play together they will have to behave. Be firm. If they have to be in the same room, put the toys away when they fight and make them sit still with a book. Be firm and tell them why you are doing it. Make them repeat back to you why they are being separated. Children have a way of trying to pretend they did nothing wrong. Making them repeat why they are in trouble keeps tehm focused.

I agree with Kitkatk, if they are fighting over toys or something like that, let them work it out as long as there is nothing physical, or bad language. If they need to be punished, give them both a time out. I always got involved when my kids were little and paid for it later. They were in their teens and still looked for me to settle their arguments. They have to learn what is right and wrong but if at all possible let them learn it on their own.