Companion Planting in the Vegetable Garden

We want to build a raised garden next spring and had heard that there are certain vegetables that grow well together, the "three sisters", but we can only remember corn. Does anyone know about this or have suggestions?

The bed won't be very big as we have a lot of trees and we're short on sunny locations. Any and all thoughts, suggestions, trial and error comments are welcomed! This site has been a wealth of information over the years and we appreciate all of you!

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Teri from St. Louis

The Three Sisters were corn, beans and squash. Beans or peas are beneficial to corn as their roots fix nitrogen into the soil. There's a mountain of lore concerning companion planting, and some of it might be more true than others.

Flowers and herbs can be particularly good in a vegetable garden though as they add color, attract bees, and some help drive away pests. Good ones to choose from are french marigolds, nasturtiums, chamomile, borage, pot marigold (calendula), sage, rosemary, garlic, thyme, and mint. Mint should be planted in containers to keep it from spreading. I work in a small space and though I can't fit in more than a few of these I think they really add something.

I'm not sure about what to put in it, but I just saw this on building a raised bed. Hope it helps!

http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.c ... o-build-raised-vegetable-garden.html

Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingSeptember 7, 2010
Flower Garden
Planting a Flower Garden
Rice paper butterfly on small pink flowers
Making a Butterfly Garden
Vegetable Garden
Vegetable Garden Planting Times
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden