Are Hens & Chicks Supposed to Bloom?

Are Hens & Chicks supposed to bloom? I've had them for years, but mine have never bloomed before this year.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Janus from Oakwood, GA

blooming hen and chicks

Mine have done that too. I don't know if it just happens every set amount of time, say two years or four years, or if it has to do with how much water they are receiving. Now you have me curious! I think I'll google that and get back to you!

Yes hens and chickens do bloom.

Ditto. I had mine a number of years and they've only bloomed a handful of times.

Mine have flowered, not every year, perhaps every 3 years. I also noticed that after flowering I soon have a multitude of chicks.....nature at its best!!

Yeah, one of mine flowered this year, too. Isn't it is pretty? I'm sending a picture...

I have has H&C for a number of years in a rock garden. And yes they do bloom, just not all of them at once :-) I usually notice that the ones that do bloom, die completely afterward.

Trish in CT

Hens and Chicks
Growing Hens and Chicks
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 2, 2007
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Japanese Anemone
Flowers That Bloom in October
Easter Crafts for Kids
Easter Crafts for Kids
Hens and Chicks plant
Transplanting Hens and Chicks