Water Conservation Tips

During the stormy season, keep barrels at the ends of the house for water run off. This can be used to water the garden, water the animals and other outside things.

Don't wash that car. Wait to wash your car until you have resources available.

Reuse canning water in the washer instead of having to add water to it.

Only do the wash when you have a full load of clothes. Wash your clothes late at night to save electricity. This is not during peak hours.

Use the dishwasher on a setting that uses less water. If you wash dishes by hand, only put enough water in the sink to wash what you have and leave the rest for the end of the day cleanup when you can add more hot water to it. (If you scrape plates clean it will be easier to accomplish this task.)

Don't allow the water to run when you brush your teeth or wash your face.

Last but not least, be sure you take short showers and that all your water elements are energy savers.

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

All great ideas. Some I remember my mother telling me ages ago and others were new and quite clever, thank you! I just wanted to put a warning out to people regarding gathering rain water. We moved from Virginia to out west and recently learned that there are places out here where it is against the law to collect rainwater. I forget the exact reason, but before you do, make sure you know your state's or town's laws.

Good common sense tips.

Collecting rainwater in many areas is against the law because of assorted pollutants and also in many areas they aerial spray regularly for bugs and the insecticides settle/collect on roofs, etc. and then the insecticides run off along with the rainwater. That water definitely would not be fit to drink, wash with or use on foods in the garden. :-(

Another way to conserve water is to turn it off while washing hands and dishes and then turn back on to rinse.

When you wash your hands, wet them, turn the water off, soap them, then turn water back on to rinse. Keep a bucket in the shower and catch the water as you wait for it to warm up. The same applies to the kitchen sink. Save the little ones bath water to flush the toilet with.Run the washer hose to a barrel and use the water on your lawn (use white vinegar on whites, not bleach) or garden, the soap will keep bugs away. If you have window air conditioners, place a bucket under it and catch the water to flush toilets, wash the car or mop the floor. Every drop of water saved helps.

June 23, 2010 Flag

24 Great Water Conservation Tips

1. Use a water timer for all plants, lawns, trees, and shrubs.

2. Save water by using a drip system. Check your local yellow pages for landscaping or drip system for installations. Most drip systems are inexpensive and easy to install.

3. Always water in the early morning hours, especially your lawn. Avoid watering during the mid or late hours. Who knows what you might see!

4. Watering during the late hours and standing water may promote fungus and diseases. You will save water by watering in the early morning hours.

5. Check your sprinkler system to make sure you are NOT watering the driveway or your neighbors yard.

6. Be sure all sprinkler hoses are not leaking, blocked or pinched.

7. Chose Bermuda sod or grasses over others, as it is drought tolerant and requires less maintenance. Check with your local nursery for other types of low water grasses.

8. Deep Watering is much better than shallow watering. Make sure water drains well.

9. Remember that most trees, plants and shrubs need little watering once they are well established. This is usually about 1 year after being planted.

10. Use a soaker hose for most plants as this provides for less evaporation.

11. Always use a good mulch for planting trees, shrubs or plants. Mulch will help retain water.

12. Do NOT use a water hose to spray debris from pavement or sidewalks. Use a push broom instead.

13. Use a bucket to wash your vehicle. Use a good "Car Wash" detergent that helps prevent streaks. Use a hand held nozzle that will turn off after rinsing your vehicle.

14. Shut off water sprinklers and drip systems right after a good rainfall.

15. Avoid watering during windy days. Wind will make water evaporate much faster.

16. Keep your mower blades sharpened. Dull blades tear grass, making it take more water to recuperate.

17. Keep your yard maintained on a year round bases. Mow, prune, and weed out. Your neighbors will appreciate it and you will feel better afterwards.

18. Save the long hot baths for special occasions. Take short showers instead.

19. Try to use low water or Xeriscaping plants for your garden or landscaping home.

20. Do not turn your cooler on until it is at least 80-85 degrees. Your evaporative cooler will use much less water.

21. Be sure to slightly open your window in each room so that warm air will escape.

22. Water conservation requires that you maintain your evaporative cooler - check for leaks and proper water flow.

23. Install efficient shower heads. Most are inexpensive and easy to install.

24. Bathe with your significant other! Yes, take a bath or showers with your spouse, you could almost cut your water bill in half!

By Paul Guzman from Las Cruces, NM

Water Conservation - What You Can Do

I agree with every aspect Paul. I live in Australia where most of our country has a dire water shortage, and my state, Victoria there are now severe water restrictions.. ie, cars must be washed with a bucket(S) of water, no hosing..lawns may not be watered AT ALL, gardens may be watered, at restricted hours and times, no refilling of back yard swimming pools without council permission, and then they have to be filled with a bucket. Makes me wonder just how many people are eager for a swim now!

The good thing is that the majority of people are doing their darndest, obeying the restrictions, utilizing grey water for gardens, installing rain water tanks, etc.

I'm a (rented) second floor apartment dweller, no yard or garden, but do what I can too.. my potted plants are often watered with the water that comes out of my fish tank when I change the fishes water. I wash dishes (handwash) only once a day. I make sure no taps are dripping. I shower only long enough to get my body wet and clean.. I guarantee less than the suggested three minutes.

The environmental warning bells have rung loud and clear, and we ignore them at our peril.

By elliecat

January 31, 2007 Flag

Considering the fact that we are now in a Stage 3 Water Conservation, I was wondering what else could be done to support our city's situation.

I have heard about people who keep extra containers in the kitchen in which to pour the water that is used for rinsing veggies and other light kitchen duties, but not suitable for drinking. I always thought it was a great idea, but never got around to doing it until now.

Today, I watered two very large planters for free by using water from rinsed veggies and running water through the purifier for a couple of minutes, first thing in the morning to clear it out. Not bad for a couple of minutes' worth of work.

By the time I ran the disposal, I was feeling badly that the extra water was going into the sewer instead of in the garden. If you do this, you will be surprised at how much water actually goes down the drain when you quickly fill up double quart pitchers doing routine kitchen maintenance. Once the Water Conservation ends, I think that the water jug from veggie washing will continue.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Water Conservation - What You Can Do

I keep a square dishpan in my sink that I run water into when I rinse something, wash my hands, etc. I even rinse my dishes over it when I wash by hand and later scoop up the dishwater too. I then empty it into a 3 gallon bucket which I take outside to water my flowers, plants, trees, and garden. All my plants are nice and green.

By susanmajp

Water Conservation - What You Can Do

Why use the disposal? Start a compost pile. If your refuse is too little, maybe the block club could contribute.

By kelleno

Conserving Water at Home
Conserving Water at Home
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterJune 23, 2010
Homemade Water Guns
Homemade Water Guns
Watering the Garden
Conserving Water in the Garden
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener