Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Using White Vinegar for Dandruff

Will white vinegar work for treating dandruff? If so, should I use it in dry or wet hair?

By razgriz

By Beth [25]01/13/2011

I tried every shampoo with a different active ingredient I could find and nothing worked. Now I use Hollywood brand Tea Tree Oil in a hair coloring bottle so that I can apply it to the roots of my hair. It's the only thing that works, and it does work. The Hollywood brand doesn't have an offensive odor. Still, I prefer to do this at night and wash my hair in the morning or you may get stained shirt collars.

By Berrybee01/13/2011

I like to wash my hair with a paste made of baking soda and water, just rubbed into the roots, then I condition with apple cider vinegar. If I want to remove dandruff, I get a stalk of rosemary or lavender, put it in a jar and pour boiling apple cider over it. I leave it overnight then after washing, flick my head upside down, pour it all over my hair (avoiding the eyes) catching it in the bowl, then repeat. Do not rinse out. It doesn't smell like vinegar when it dries and feels amazing. I'll never buy shampoo or conditioner again.

By Hallie [5]01/12/2011

Put Tea Tree oil in your shampoo, and wash your hair with that every time you get a shower, and that will get rid of the dandruff! and it leaves your head feeling tingly clean! :)

By Lilac [18]01/12/2011

If you use Selson Blue for a week your dandruff will be gone in most cases. Some dandruff is caused by dry scalp but most is caused by a mild form of yeast which the shampoo gets rid of.

By Deanj01/11/2011

It might work but vinegar does have an unpleasant odor so rinse well.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using White Vinegar for Dandruff

I have a dry flaky scalp even after I wash it with shampoo and conditioner. A lot of people here suggest vinegar. But I was wondering what kind of vinegar? There's apple cider vinegar and white vinegar. How should I use it?

Thanks.
Anna

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

Apple cider vinegar will work. I know it definitely removes buildup and softens your hair! Just mix it as 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Shampoo your hair and then rinse with your mixture. Work it through and rinse out. Be careful not to get it in your eyes as it will slightly burn them. Good luck. (08/13/2005)

By Jennifer

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

You can use either white or apple cider vinegar. I usually use white vinegar and about 1/4 of a cup of vinegar to 3/4 cup of water. I don't rinse it out, just towel dry it well and then blow dry. Hope this helps! You'll find your hair is pretty soft with this rinse, too. (08/13/2005)

By Luvyabye

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

Have you tried using Head and Shoulders for Sensitive scalp? It comes in a bluish purple bottle? We use it and have great success with it. Good luck. (08/13/2005)

By Michele

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

Witch Hazel is an excellent astringent and you won't smell like a walking salad when you use it. It is very cheap at your local pharmacy. A few drops of your favorite essential oil gives a nice smell. (08/14/2005)

By snigdibbly

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

I use white vinegar. You can use it as a rinse as described above or put it in a spray bottle. Spray your scalp with the pure vinegar (no water) a few minutes before showering. Let it sit on your scalp and then shower/wash your hair as normal. (08/14/2005)

By Ann

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

Use Zincon shampoo, work it into the scalp and leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse. Use daily. (08/14/2005)

By cookwie

dandruff remedy

Try drenching your head with Listerine (don't use Scope or anything like that), being careful to keep it out of your eyes (not dangerous, just burns a bit). Wait three or four full minutes before rinsing it out, then shampoo as usual. You'll wonder where all the flakes went! (06/28/2006)

By Elisha

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

Just check it is not your shampoo causing the problem. Pantene and L'Oreal colour leave my head itchy and flaky (huge flakes disgusting). L'Occitane Shea Butter Range, Phililp Kinsgley and Ojon seem OK and have cleared this problem. If not my mum used to use cider vinegar. (07/17/2007)

By Everybear

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

I used malt vinegar, it seems to work pretty good. (02/14/2008)

By Nate

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

Severe dandruff (a thick rain of large flakes) may be psoriasis. Vinegar did not work. I tried Head and Shoulders, Nizoral, and salicylic acid shampoos - nothing.

Dermatologist directed:

1. Apply prescribed 0.05% solution of fluocinonide to scalp.
  2. Before washing hair, rub a coal-tar based shampoo into scalp and let sit for two minutes, then shampoo any way you like.

Most dandruff was gone after ten days. (11/12/2008)

By Guest

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

You can mix the vinegar with chamomile tea which will help subside the smell of the vinegar and by using the tea you are treating your hair as well. Chamomile is good for your hair. The mix is very little vinegar to the tea. It is about 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a pint of tea. It works great and the smell is lessened. (02/06/2009)

By SandraDee

RE: What kind of vinegar for dandruff?

Mix 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup witch hazel, and 6 crushed aspirins together and pour into a bottle. Use as a dandruff rinse. After shampooing, pour the dandruff rinse onto your scalp, rub in, leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse. Then you can can condition as usual. (03/19/2010)

By VinegarGirl