Hardwood FloorsHome Improvement

Oak Hardwood Floor Quick Fix

My entire house (except kitchens and baths) is graced with wood flooring in oak. The house was built in 1940. While it's great to see in theory, only one room has been refinished since all were carpeted in the 50's. So the continuous expanse of wood is interrupted by the dining room's lovely finish. Would it work to just recoat the floors all in a darker color finish without sanding? The stairs are also pretty funky. I don't want to recover the floors in carpet or go to the mess of sanding. Thanks.

AskLiz

Sanding and properly finishing the floors would be a huge mess . . . but soooooo worth it! At about the time your house was built carpeting was new and exciting and "so much better" than old-fashioned wood floors. Builders continued to put down hardwood floors, but because they wanted to be modern, they didn't even finish the surfaces, but just plunked down carpet on top of it.

Please, please, please take this opportunity to finish your floors. If you want the look of wood (and it sounds like you do) you will not be sorry.

I completely agree with Katie. sanding and refinishing is a mess (but not a huge one with the proper equipment).

BUT what great floors you will have. A few days hard work will give you great floors for 20 or more years.

Putting something (Paint? varnish?) on the existing floors will look horrible!!! You would probably have to carpet over them or sand them anyway.

rent a sander with a vacuum attached, our friends did this,,,,the floors are great now..you will not regret it. took a weekend to do 4 large rooms.

My husband and I bought a house built in 1919. We ripped up the old golden sculpted carpet in the living and dining room. As a novice, my husband sanded them with a commercial sander. I was almost due with our third child, so I did not sand. Since then I have refinished the office, and two bedrooms, a sunroom, and the hallway upstairs. It is definately worth it and not nearly the work you'd think it is. Do it!! I am so happy with ours...If you need tips, just ask! I've learned alot.