Maintaining a Compost Pile in the Winter

I want to start a compost pile but am not sure how it is cared for over winter. Is there any special things I must do? I have Fibromyalgia and I don't do cold weather well, so if it must be worked in winter I may have to pass on this idea. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: I love this site! I have learned so many wonderful things. God bless each and every one!

Okscooter1 from Locust Grove, Oklahoma

no you don't do anything in winter it's part of the breakdown process/you can cover it if you like but is not necessary..

As the previous poster said you don't need to do anything.The break down process slows during the winter months but it will pick up with warmer weather.

Since you suffer in the cold, I suggest that you use a worm bin for the Winter months. It does not take a lot of space and you don't need to worry to have them wander out of the bins. They stay put.

What I do with my composters is surround them with bails of hay to insulated them. It works for me because my uncle composts the uneven bails anyway. I put all my kitchen scraps in plastic bags that I store in my shed area. When the snow melts enough around my composters, I simply dump the content of the bags into my composters, taking care to add as much brown as possible to balance the whole pile.

There is a lot of documentation on the subject available on Canadian Websites. The City of Toronto: Solid Waste Management @ http://www.toronto.ca/compost/winter.htm is a great example.

Hope this helps,

Metanine from New Brunswick, Canada

Home and Garden Gardening CompostingMarch 24, 2007
Compost bin full of vegetable waste from a kitchen.
Removing Odors From a Compost Bin
Keeping Pests Out of Your Compost Pile
Keeping Pests Out of Your Compost Pile
Composting Indoors
Composting Indoors
Compost Pile
Starting a Compost Pile
🎉
🎄