Elderberry Jelly Recipes

By Karen 11 6

I need a recipe for elderberry preserves and/or jelly. Thanks in advance for your help.

kmcl59 from Pensacola, FL

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I don't have a recipe for Elderberry Jelly but do remember my mother used to make it years ago. In our area, there is so much construction that there are no more elderberrries to be found. I sure would enjoy having a taste of that again on my bread. I hope someone can get the recipe for you. Best to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Elderberry Jam I

4 cups crushed elderberries

3 cups sugar

1 (3-ounce) package liquid pectin

Cook crushed berries over medium heat for 15 minutes and then strain through a food mill, removing the seeds.

Place strained sauce into a large saucepan and add sugar, mixing thoroughly. Cook over medium heat until sugar completely dissolves. Add the pectin and bring to a full boil for 1 minute. Skim off foam.

Pour hot jam into sterilized jars. Seal and store in a cool dry place.

Storage life on shelf, one year.

Makes about 3 to 4 pints.

Note: Elderberries should never be eaten raw. All parts of the plant contain the toxin hydrocyanic acid which is destroyed by cooking. Red elderberry (S. pubens) is considered poisonous and should not be used since cooking does not destroy enough of the toxin.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

This is another one of those berries in Vancouver, WA that people don't know what to do with. :) If you grab a box of pectin, it will have a recipe for elder berries. Yay ! Lots of goodies to be found :) Have fun.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I prefer not to use the liquid pectin. I don't like the texture of the jelly. I use low sugar pectin. And you must use at least 1/4 cup lemon juice to each 3 1/2 cup of juice or it never jells right. This gives a great soft jelly that that spreads like silk instead of the clumpy stuff from firm jelly.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments SalsaJune 19, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Homemade Jelly (Puffy Paint) Accessories
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Recipes
Beet Jelly
Beet Jelly Recipes
Jelly Roll
Jelly Roll Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:02:09 AM on 10.0.1.64 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings