SalsaCondiments

Elderberry Jelly Recipes

I need a recipe for elderberry preserves and/or jelly. Thanks in advance for your help.

kmcl59 from Pensacola, FL

I don't have a recipe for Elderberry Jelly but do remember my mother used to make it years ago. In our area, there is so much construction that there are no more elderberrries to be found. I sure would enjoy having a taste of that again on my bread. I hope someone can get the recipe for you. Best to you.

Elderberry Jam I

4 cups crushed elderberries

3 cups sugar

1 (3-ounce) package liquid pectin

Cook crushed berries over medium heat for 15 minutes and then strain through a food mill, removing the seeds.

Place strained sauce into a large saucepan and add sugar, mixing thoroughly. Cook over medium heat until sugar completely dissolves. Add the pectin and bring to a full boil for 1 minute. Skim off foam.

Pour hot jam into sterilized jars. Seal and store in a cool dry place.

Storage life on shelf, one year.

Makes about 3 to 4 pints.

Note: Elderberries should never be eaten raw. All parts of the plant contain the toxin hydrocyanic acid which is destroyed by cooking. Red elderberry (S. pubens) is considered poisonous and should not be used since cooking does not destroy enough of the toxin.

This is another one of those berries in Vancouver, WA that people don't know what to do with. :) If you grab a box of pectin, it will have a recipe for elder berries. Yay ! Lots of goodies to be found :) Have fun.

I prefer not to use the liquid pectin. I don't like the texture of the jelly. I use low sugar pectin. And you must use at least 1/4 cup lemon juice to each 3 1/2 cup of juice or it never jells right. This gives a great soft jelly that that spreads like silk instead of the clumpy stuff from firm jelly.