Fish Smell From Silk

Why does silk smell like fish to some people?

November 14, 2006 Flag

I bought a silk skirt and top and it smells of fish. Is there anything I can wash it in to remove the smell?

Cathy N

Removing the fishy smell from silk clothes.

My husband has had two silk knit golf shirts with a fishy smell. He dry cleaned the first one several times, then just used the regular wash after that and said it took the smell away. His second shirt is new. He had it dry cleaned, but when I washed it and it was wet I could still smell the fishy odor. I'd say a few washings and it will be fine, too. So my suggestion--wash it with your regular wash 4 or 5 times and that will probably take care of the smell. (YUCK!) (09/07/2004)

By Katie A.

The smell you are smelling is the silk. You are one of the lucky few who can smell the smell. Chances are if you ask other people, they WILL NOT smell it. (04/15/2005)

By wittier

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceNovember 14, 2006
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile