Chicha de Jingibre Recipe

Fermented ginger drink - also known as Chicha de jingibre in Nicaragua. Non-alcoholic. Traditionally served to children and adults as a cooling refreshing beverage. "Hot" while swallowed - this might be due to spices. Any one have a recipe? I've checked all the search engines, and could come up with a mention of the beverage, but not the actual recipe.

I have a friend on chemo and since she remembers this from her childhood, the ginger content might help to cut back on nausea (pending MD approval).

Holly from Richardson, TX

Hi, Holly! Part of the problem with your search is the spelling. It is more popularly known as "Chicha de Jengibre," which according to my research is a fermented corn alcohol liquor, not a non-alcoholic drink. (chicha = alcoholic beverage made from corn /maize and drunk at celebrations large and small; jengibre = ginger) Think ginger beer. Perhaps there is a ginger ale version that your friend is remembering that goes by a similar name? I was able to locate quite a few references to it on many websites, but they are ALL in Spanish and I could not translate the pages nor the recipes. Good luck in your search, but you can always try Vernors in the mean time....

Maybe you could try ginger ale.

My husband is from Ecuador and I'm pretty sure he told me that chicha is a fermented drink the indigenous people make with yuca. They chew it up and spit it out and let it sit and after a while it's fermented. But the same word can mean different things depending on which country you're in so maybe chicha is something else in Nicaragua.

I didn't have any luck either. I wanted to mention that several of the girls at the Wellness House when I had cancer drank hot Vernors soda for the nausea from the chemo.

Its a ginger soda, so it might help in a similar manner!

I checked some of my favorite recipe websites and found this recipe on Recipezaar. It is non alcoholic but fermented. I tried the Spanish words but nothing came up. Karen from Rochester, NY

Ginger Beer Plant

Recipe #49832

Makes 1 batch

7 days 7 days prep

The original plant

1 teaspoon ginger (ground)

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup lemon juice

Plant fodder

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon sugar

Final touches

4 cups sugar, dissolved in

6 cups water

1/2 cup lemon juice

20 cups of cold water, and stir until dissolved

1. Place the Plant ingredients in a screw top jar.

2. For the next 7 days, feed the plant daily with plant fodder.

3. After 7 days you can strain this liquid, and add the Final touches.

4. Stir until dissolved.

5. Bottle and leave for 7 days before drinking.

6. To continue, halve the remaining plant and repeat process replacing 1/2 cup of water instead of lemon juice.

Sounds like Ginger beer to me.I'm sure if u Google Recipe for ginger beer u will find it. Its easy to make. U just use Ginger lemon, water, yeast and sugar,XXXXXXXXXXxx

June 6, 20070 found this helpful has Ginger Soothers or you can buy them at a health food store. They aren't carbonated, nor are fermented. They can be drunk hot or cold.

My grandmother used to drink plain ginger-ale for nausea. I like to eat candied ginger--much cheaper if bought from a health food store by the pound than in little spice bottles. The above company also sells Ginger Chews in three flavors (Ginger, apple-ginger, or peanut ginger). Reed's at (1-800-99-REEDS) sells a ginger candy, which is a plain ginger chew and wonderful ginger beer. Often when I don't feel well, I'll fill a mug with water, a splash of lemon, a scoop of honey, and some ground ginger, and microwave till hot.

I absolutely love ginger. It's kept me going so many times when my body was fighting something. Tests have shown it works just as well for nausea as meds, with fewer side effects. I wish your friend well.

We take 1 tblsp of Cola Syrup (Walgreens $3.49) for any nausea. Perhaps this will help her, too? Ginger is related to the pepper plant and it like a hot spice to my stomach. I can't imagine someone who's nauseated wanting to drink that. : (

I know this question was posted years ago but I just ran into it today and I thought I'd share this. Chicha de Jingibre is a fermented ginger drink made from water, sugar, and ginger that is allowed to sit for days and then strained and served cold. Since the drink is fermented, it may contain small amounts of alcohol but they are usually negligible if it is made correctly. It is similar to a drink known as Kombucha which can be found in many health food stores. There is a brand called Synergy that makes "GT's Kombucha" in a Gingerade flavor. It tastes a little like a lightly sweetened gingerale with a bit of tang. I find them in my local store and my mom loves them because she says they taste like the chicha de jingibre that her grandma used to make in Nicaragua. I hope this helps anyone that is looking for this!

Food and Recipes Recipes BeveragesJune 3, 2007
Ingredient Substitutions
Common Ingredient Substitutions
Recipe Cards
Using Recipe Cards
preparing a recipe
Converting the Size of a Recipe
Welbilt Bread Maker
Finding Welbilt Bread Maker Recipe Books